cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

big web project... :o(

N/A

Ok - i have a little issue that some of you will no doubt be able to help with.

I am basically after a general overview of how to create a dynamic website - e.g. some general pointers to take a look at.

The requirement is to create a small site where i can change the content without having to edit individual pages and also allow uploading of various media files by administrators - and get pages created dynamically.

IS this possible and can someone point me in the right direction to get me started?

I basically have created various static sites before but not really put much time into developing my web skills - hopefully someone will be able to give me some pointer to get this started...

Cheers
9 REPLIES
Community Veteran

You need a CMS - content management system they are used for many websites these days, theres a fair few about and lots of people have a preference.
Generally you will need to use PHP or another similar scripting lanuage for this.

Chris
N/A

You could try phpBB. That allows for a certain amount of of what you require in it's basic form. If you require more then there are quite a lot of Mods there which will add a fair bit more of what you require.

Install it using this tutorial written by Taskforce9. Follow his tutorial to the letter and you wont go far wrong.

I hope that this is of some use.

BTW......where is Taskforce9 these days, I haven't seen a post from him for ages, anybody have a clue?

Community Veteran

He mainly hangs about on the f9 forums and possibily usenet as well.

Chris
N/A

john / chris

thanks for the info - looks like i will have to get started on reading and testing this ... oh the joys!

Thanks for the help and will probably be back at some point with loads more questions ...

Cheers - Chris
Community Veteran

phpBB is just a forum, your probably better to look at something like phpnuke which is a CMS / website development type package (which can incorporate the phpBB forum and lots of other things). It uses a database backend to store the content.
channel
Grafter

I'd recommend Mambo as being an incredibly simple, versatile and powerful CMS with an active development team. Works without a hitch on plusnet servers.
N/A

You could of coarse try DIY you have PHP + Mysql on +net thats all thats needed. If you have dreamweaver or simliar that will help with the design. You can get a lot of code off the net to get you started. It does give you more control and you will end up learining something
richard-
Grafter

Im looking for something like this, I use postnuke at the moment but was
thinking of creating a site which is built from scratch, I have no idea on how
to do this though, and I want it to look unlike anyone elses, using php and
a database, I would be looking at some way of monitoring the amount of clicks
an item gets and a simple page creator that I just enter the name for the item
and other details and a link and it creates the page automatically, any ideas
on where I can go to get something like this built

Looking at that Mambo above thats a very nice looking content builder
N/A

Theres a hacked version of cutenews about and its surprisingly versatile, u can mod it to do pretty much anything if u know what ur doing. even run a large dynamic site all on the same install.

download here:

http://appelsinjuice.org/cn_aj_167.zip

Other than that all i can recommend is this:

http://www.opensourcecms.com

gl