cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bandwidth speed test...

N/A

bandwidth speed test...

OK here's the deal...

The company I work for wants to have certain web pages served off their database.
Not a problem!

I want to do this over our ADSL 500 connection - I've been trying it for 2/3 months now and it works.
Though because the same connection also has our office's web browsing, exchange server traffic, any other traffic I wanted to find a way to reserve a proportion of the upstream and downstream to a specific port (the port which our db web requests run off).
This I have done, using a ZyXEL ZyWALL 10W using the bandwidth light feature.
It seems to be working - no reports of any timeouts at least while exchange is downloading a 20MB e-mail.

I have a question though regarding the bandwidth speed test on the plusnet website.

Does the PlusNet bandwidth speed test just measure my bandwidth through the connection, or the bandwidth of the ADSL connection as a whole?

There are some statistics on our router which let me see the current upstream and downstream kbps rates, but they don't seem to change - are those figures something that is calculated when the connection is established?

1) Is there another way I can accurately measure the current data rates of our ADSL connection, and not just the amount that I am using?

2) Are the figures on my router live or just calculated upon connection? The router status screen refreshes but never seems to change those figures at all. Surely it would vary by 1or 2 kbps even if there was constant traffic.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: bandwidth speed test...

Does the PlusNet bandwidth speed test just measure my bandwidth through the connection, or the bandwidth of the ADSL connection as a whole?

It only measures thebandwidth speed to your system - note: this will be effected by any traffic that is using the connection at the same time. By their nature bandwidth testers of this kkind can be effected by many things and don't always give accurate results. See General: Speedchecker Reliability.

There are some statistics on our router which let me see the current upstream and downstream kbps rates, but they don't seem to change - are those figures something that is calculated when the connection is established?

Are they 576Kb/s and 284Kb/s. If so, that is the physical connection speed that a 512K ADSL connection uses to the local exchange and is fixed. It bears no relation to the throughput you actually get over the connection.

1) Is there another way I can accurately measure the current data rates of our ADSL connection, and not just the amount that I am using?

If you have a single PC then there is software monitors that could give a reasonably acurate figure. If you are using multiple PCs (as I suspect you are) then only a hardware device can calculate this.

2) Are the figures on my router live or just calculated upon connection? The router status screen refreshes but never seems to change those figures at all. Surely it would vary by 1or 2 kbps even if there was constant traffic.

Care to post an example of what you are seeing as I don't know your router.
N/A

bandwidth speed test...

The router figures are the ones that you mention,

I think the bandwidth management is working.
Our hungry exchange server doesn't seem to be gobbling up too much traffic.

Thanks for answering those questions for me.