Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anonymous

camus
Dabbler

anonymous

Hi all
I use the ghostsurf suite, before I bought a Netgear router, now the anonymizer doesn't work, I assume that's because of the router, I tried port forward but no change, I assume the anonomyzer was used before routers became popular.
Is this the case for all anonomyzers
Regards
8 REPLIES
N/A

anonymous

I suggest looking for support on Ghostsurf itself, as there may be workarounds to your problems.
camus
Dabbler

anonymous

I suggest looking for support on Ghostsurf itself, as there may be workarounds to your problems.

Thanks for reply, I posted Ghostsurf but no answer as yet. It's no big problem as the suite was bought for the ad block and Spycatcher, I didn't set it up once my router was installed, It was really time on hands to muck about when I noticed the anonomyzer not in use.
Thanks again.
N/A

anonymous

Why do you feel your router would have any effect on this sort of software?

Most anonmisying software relies on servers to translate your IP, and use a secure encrypted connection, to stop your ISP from knowing what sites your going to.
camus
Dabbler

anonymous

Why do you feel your router would have any effect on this sort of software?

Most anonmisying software relies on servers to translate your IP, and use a secure encrypted connection, to stop your ISP from knowing what sites your going to.

My use of the software was not to hide any info from my ISP but the site I visit , with the router +firewall etc the machine is quite secure but the Dns and IP address is transmitted to all, why? If it hides it from my ISP then I would think again as it would cause suspicion which is not my intent, and why is it allowed if does.
Ghostsurf did reply but as yet unable to fix. I assumed it was the router , but by your reply it seems not.
What started as a tech issue has now raised a new one, pause for thought.
Thanks.
N/A

anonymous

In order to hide your IP you would have to go though a third party server, and they would carry your request, hence my feeling that this issue is not related to your router.

Let us know how you get on.
craigbrass
Grafter

anonymous

Well there are many services that you can pay a small charge monthly for to "anonymize" yourself. Simply by imputting proxy details into your browser. Just do a search on google. They should work fine with routers as I know a few people who use these services with routers without any problems.
camus
Dabbler

Anonymous

In order to hide your IP you would have to go though a third party server, and they would carry your request, hence my feeling that this issue is not related to your router.

I took your advice and tried Steganos Anonym6 free version, and it worked toot sweet, I would guess the problem would lie with Tenebril (Ghostsurf) it's their proxy server thats used .No doubt they will answer with "for a few bucks more....."
I suppose I don't know enough about the security of the net, and the hype tends to make you worry more than necessary.
If it works I'll let you know, I'll sign with "guess who" :lol:
Thanks to all.
camus
Dabbler

anonymous

I'm ever so 'umble, I changed my browser to firefox and it didn't auto detect software settings. Shockedops:
Will try better.
Thanks