cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

all in one phone and broadband question

kenny
Grafter

I have my broadband with F9, line rental with BT but use another company (first: telecom) for my outgoing calls. I was thinking of putting it all together with either F9 or first: telecom who are starting broadband soon.

Question: Does anyone have all there broadband/phones/line rental with F9 is it good service. It will stop me changing broadband/email address so there in poll position

I’ve been with F9 broadband for about 2 years no real issues never getting this so called up to 8mb speed though (even though I’m about 20 yards away from the local telephone exchange.
8 REPLIES
N/A

I would say a big no to having a land line withBT-F9.

I let NTL take over my line 5 years ago , 2 months in the line went dead tried calling BT who said its not our line anymore contact you land line provider. Every time I rang NTL the line would be engaged and I could not report the fault. I had to write a letter in the end to their HQ CEO to get it sorted.

If you look at this section nobody been here for months BT-F9 don’t update the section either.

I do have a VoIP phone with F9 which works great but I had to tell them on how to set it up they even sold me the router.

I set up my VoIP with sipgate and Draytel but these numbers still ring my VoIP phone even though it got the BT-F9 settings in strange!!! The quality is just like a normal phone when making a VOIP call

With this modem (SpeedTouch 716wl v5) I don’t need to leave the computer on to make calls

Michael
N/A

I have broadband PAYG and Homephone Anytime which I really like because I only have the one bill and I know exactly what's to be paid each month. I put credit on the account for 08 and mobile numbers. The only thing is that with a call limit of 1000 minutes per month it is not for heavy users of the telephone unless they don't mind adding credit. It is fine for me as I make frequent but short calls. Changeover was two weeks with no problems. Thought about broadband telephone but it is not really worth it for me as I do not make that many calls. It is a case of analysing telephone habits to see if it suits.
kenny
Grafter

I would say a big no to having a land line withBT-F9.

I let NTL take over my line 5 years ago , 2 months in the line went dead tried calling BT who said its not our line anymore contact you land line provider. Every time I rang NTL the line would be engaged and I could not report the fault. I had to write a letter in the end to their HQ CEO to get it sorted.

If you look at this section nobody been here for months BT-F9 don’t update the section either.

I do have a VoIP phone with F9 which works great but I had to tell them on how to set it up they even sold me the router.

I set up my VoIP with sipgate and Draytel but these numbers still ring my VoIP phone even though it got the BT-F9 settings in strange!!! The quality is just like a normal phone when making a VOIP call

With this modem (SpeedTouch 716wl v5) I don’t need to leave the computer on to make calls

Michael

Thats what I`m scared off, getting a fault fixed quickly. I live yards away from my BT exchange and when I last had a problem the lads there BT workers came round and fixed my fault, all legit they got a job number. But the point is its was done very,very quickly. 20-30mins they came round & fixed the fault. If I came off BT I would not have this super speed serviceHuh
kenny
Grafter

I have broadband PAYG and Homephone Anytime which I really like because I only have the one bill and I know exactly what's to be paid each month. I put credit on the account for 08 and mobile numbers. The only thing is that with a call limit of 1000 minutes per month it is not for heavy users of the telephone unless they don't mind adding credit. It is fine for me as I make frequent but short calls. Changeover was two weeks with no problems. Thought about broadband telephone but it is not really worth it for me as I do not make that many calls. It is a case of analysing telephone habits to see if it suits.

Well I`m OK but its her in doors, you know what there like on the phone............ I was going to cancel her mobile and the money saved from that (as most are to her family on a landline) and the saving of the all in one offer sounds good to me. It should save me loads. The only drawback is the service (look at letter above) if a problem occurs getting it fixed quickly!

I was after some feed back of people who have had possible problems what was the speed in getting the line working again.

At the moment I use BT as the main hub, F9 for my broadband and another company first:telecom for my outgoing calls (very good service been with them ages) They will be starting broadband soon but there all in one package is not as cheap as F9. To be honest I was thinking of staying with first:telecom as they answer phone calls very quickly and I`m very happy with them. But like everyone else I want an all in
one cheaper product.
N/A

I can see your point about the speed and efficiency of repair if/when problems arise. I have heard other stories about difficulties encountered when companies have taken over BT lines. I can't comment because since F9 took over my telephone service I haven't had any problems but I would have thought that if you want reassurance in this matter, it's over to F9 staff.
kenny
Grafter

I can see your point about the speed and efficiency of repair if/when problems arise. I have heard other stories about difficulties encountered when companies have taken over BT lines. I can't comment because since F9 took over my telephone service I haven't had any problems but I would have thought that if you want reassurance in this matter, it's over to F9 staff.

I`ve got to be honest its this that has been holding me back
I will wait and mull it over, its just some of the mail I have seen saying there has been problems

But with BT now owning F9 should there not be any problems?Huh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

There seems to be a belief that the all-embracing BT took over PlusNet/F9. That's not correct, it was the BT Retail division that took over PN. BT Retail sell customer-facing broadband services in the same way that PN do. The (non LLU) infrastructure is provided by BT Wholesale and sold to PN and to BT Retail on the same terms as to any other ISP - OFCOM require this to be so to ensure competition is on a level playing field.

Yet another division of BT, Openreach provide the voice telephone service, and I assume this means the wires from home to the exchange. At the exchange the wires connect to Openreach, Wholesale and third-party (LLU) infrastructure.

This diversity can be a source of problems. Just like when two pieces of equipment of different manufacture don't work together the fault is always claimed to be in "the other bit" (or the wire between them - no-man's-land). Considerable tenacity can be required to resolve issues here, and this can take some time. I suspect there are also problems with this across the BT divisions.
David
kenny
Grafter

There seems to be a belief that the all-embracing BT took over PlusNet/F9. That's not correct, it was the BT Retail division that took over PN. BT Retail sell customer-facing broadband services in the same way that PN do. The (non LLU) infrastructure is provided by BT Wholesale and sold to PN and to BT Retail on the same terms as to any other ISP - OFCOM require this to be so to ensure competition is on a level playing field.

Yet another division of BT, Openreach provide the voice telephone service, and I assume this means the wires from home to the exchange. At the exchange the wires connect to Openreach, Wholesale and third-party (LLU) infrastructure.

This diversity can be a source of problems. Just like when two pieces of equipment of different manufacture don't work together the fault is always claimed to be in "the other bit" (or the wire between them - no-man's-land). Considerable tenacity can be required to resolve issues here, and this can take some time. I suspect there are also problems with this across the BT divisions.

God that sound complicated they would all be saying
It was the `other company` that has the fault. My
Exchange is about 20 yards away (if that) easier
To fix it myself if a problem arose, just throw some
new cable over the fence and hook it up ;-))