cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

advice on anti virus software

tonka
Grafter

hi guy's just wondering if you could give me some advice on a good but free anti virus for my mother in law's computer as she hasnt got any,its slower than a snail in cement and after running adaware and spybot found there was no anti virus installed,
her computer is on dial up on window's xp and is running a firewall but not sure what one.
10 REPLIES
holdtight
Grafter

You wont go far wrong by using Grisofts AVG 7 free which can be downloaded
here http://free.grisoft.com/freeweb.php/doc/2/

if you dont want to download it because you are on dial up it is usually on most pc magazine cover discs

just have a look at the disk contents, if you buy pc mags you may already have it but dont install AVG 6 as grisoft are about to stop support for it
tonka
Grafter

cheer's for that how does it install and sit with window's service pack 2 heard one or two are a bit of a chore to install with it.
N/A

It installs fine on SP2 Wink and runs in the background without much hastle
tonka
Grafter

installed it today on my mother in law's computer smooth as a baby's bum look's good going to download it for mine now.
N/A

cool Smiley
lowry
Grafter

I personally use McAfee VirusScan 9.0 (on an online subscription basis) and Sygate Personal Firewall and this has proved reliable for me for quite some time now. There are many applications on the market now. I would suggest having a read of Peter's helpful tutorial to help in your decision.

matt Wink
N/A

I use NOD32 and Kerio . NOD32 is very light on reasource usage and very fast. Kerio is easy to use and setup.

I would also recommend Process Guard 3, since at the moment all software firewalls can be bypassed, this software prevents that.
N/A

you say prevents :p I am sure there are ways around it, just like everything else software and hardware based
N/A

Nothing is 100%, even your cisco router :-P lol

But since currently all avaliable software firewalls can be by-passed, and this software actually prevents trojans etc, bypassing it, or shuting down the firewall. I'd say it's makes it as secure as I can be, for a home user.
N/A

NOD32

Hi All: I hope this is of use to you....

I used McAfee Antivirus 9.0 also. Then I thought I'd check out NOD32.
Wow!....It found this: P2P-Worm.Win32.Tibick.f
in your Windows/System32/MSview folder, look inside it and if you have anything delete the lot!

Also look in System32 for svcnet.exe.....thats the little blighter, get rid!
I must say that none of the virus's found caused me any problems well not that i was aware of.

http://www.viruslist.com/en/viruses/encyclopedia?virusid=70081

Probably from when I had Kazaa, thats long gone now!! McAfee never touched it, thats long gone also!

You ask yourself why MSN stopped using McAfee, they have now gone for Trend-Micro to scan their emails ....not so sure about that one also.

I had 466 viruses in the MSVIEW folder that it created...NOD32 cleaned out that lot!

I also use Armour2Net Firewall.....both these programs I find un-instrusive!

Regards
Blancmcmillan