cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

adive on setting up my own website > I am thick

N/A

Hi there I am paying for fastest service on plus.net 2mpbs.

I noticed from looking threw the forums that you get a certain amount of free web space.

wot I would like to do is to create a website with a list of movies I have. with headings like

Horror

comedy

action

etc >> were people can just click on the title "comedy" and it would go to a page with all the comedy movies I have.

I have had a play round with the "website builder" on this site and I find it really cheesy!!

The templates you can choose from are really really bad !

Is this the only webspace that plus.net will provide me with, or could I design my own site would plus.net but it up on the net for me

thanks for help !
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: adive on setting up my own website > I am thick

Is this the only webspace that plus.net will provide me with, or could I design my own site would plus.net but it up on the net for me

Not to sure what you mean here?
You have 250mB of web space on a home account to do what you like with as long at its not offensive etc.

There is nothing to stop you designing your own site on your machine and then uploading it to your webspace.

You can use your normal sace in the htdocs folder, your cgi space on the cgi server or your space on the frontpage server.
Community Veteran

Website builder just saves your page designs in your normal plusnet webspace and you can do the same by writing your own webpages and uploading them using FTP to the same webspace.
N/A

wot easy to follow software will allow me to design my own website ?Huh
Community Veteran

When I first started my website I used Microsoft Word and then Microsoft Publisher.

Publisher is fairly easy to use if you have it on your PC but its a bit of a pain if you need to make frequent changes to your pages as you need to opload most of the site every time.

I now use HoTMetaL but Im sure that many other people reading this thread will be able to offer you plenty more options Smiley
Community Veteran

There are literally hundreds of web page design products around, many of which are free.

Try googling for 'HTML editor' and see what you find.

Also you need to learn about HTML as without that, it will be difficult to create anything. Again google for HTML tutorials.

There are also many books about creating a website, try your local bookstore.
vic_newey
Grafter

wot easy to follow software will allow me to design my own website ?Huh

Get Sierra Web artist from PC shop, £ 10 its dead easy & fantastic results can be obtained, then type in +net FTP etc. & it converts everything to HTML & uploads. I now use Web artist 2 but original is just as good