cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

accessing pics from htdocs

N/A

Hi all, can anyone help here, tell me where I'm going wrong please. I have created a new folder in htdocs called 'pics' and put a photograph in it, if I type the full url in I.E. address bar. ie. www.username.plus.com/pics/name of photo.jpg I get "page can't be found", if I leave out the name of the photo and just type in www.username.plus.com/pics I get the parent directory with the photo listed, clicking on that opens the page with the photo with the address in the address bar as I previously typed which didn't work, any ideas please?
ken
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

All URLs are case sensitive so you must specify any directory or picture filename exactly as you have saved it. PlusNet use *nix servers which are case sensitive unlike Windows where everything is treated as upper case. In your case the picture has a .JPG (upper case) extension and this must be specified in the URL. When I do that I get the picture displayed (your jeans are dry by now Wink).

To stop the directory listing when you just specify pics in the URL, create a blank index.html file and put it in your pics directory.

Advice: I suggest you use a picture editor/graphics package to reduce the size of your images as 2.2Megs is a bit large and even for ADSL, takes a long time to show up. With a suitable graphics package you should be able to get the image size down quite a bit I managed to get it down to 560K (75% jpeg compression) without any loss of image clarity.
N/A

Thanks Peter, I'd sussed what was the problem and got it working, as you say I had put jpg instead of JPG. I know the file is a bit large I had tranfered it from my camera without doing any sizing or anything, it was just meant to get things working ok, and my brother had asked for an example of the pictures from my camera so I didn't want to reduce it.
Thanks again
Ken
N/A

LOL and yes the jeans were dry, except a bit of dampness in the pockets., and thanks for the tip on the blank index,htm