cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zoom X5v with PlusTalk?

N/A

Zoom X5v with PlusTalk?

Has anyone set up a Zoom X5v for use with PlusTalk? What settings did you need to change from default?

Thanks
7 REPLIES
9411john
Dabbler

Cannot help but sympathise

I am in same predicament. I raised a ticket with Plus net support and their answer was that modem may be tied to Global Vilage, I have checked with Zoom and they confirm that modem is configurable to other providers. I have tried numerous combinations of settings and got nowhere. I have returned ticket to Plusnet support and attached screen shots of modem set up pages. Also advised them that this is a popular modem and it is worthwhile finding a solution. Suggest you raise a ticket as well to emphasise the point. Will post further reply if I solve the riddle
N/A

Zoom X5v with PlusTalk?

Might be worth trying here guys. I too have a Zoom X5, but have not tried the Plustalk service yet, but will be interested to see the outcome of this. Good luck.
9411john
Dabbler

Zoom X5V

I have given up! I persevered with both Plusnet and Zoom technical support people. Plusnet confirmed I was using the correct settings and that as my service worked using a 'softphone' and XLite then there was nothing wrong with my setup. I do not beleive that just because XLite and 'softphone' work then the modem/router should work but that was Plustalk's answer. Zoom also confirmed that settings should work. As X5V worked OK with Global Village then I suspect that there is some 'hidden' config element in the GV setup that needs to be either changed or deleted. Unfortunately no-one seems to know what it is. As I had only had my X5V for less than 30 days I have returned it for a refund on the basis that it does not do what it says on the box. My supplier (EBuyer) has agreed to this. For those that wish to persevere I have a suggestion. According to Zoom techies you can reset the X5V to its factory default (i.e. with no GV settings). You could then try the Plustalk settings. I would suggest that if you do this then you first take a screen print of all the X5V setup pages (and I mean all - including sub pages etc.) just in case you wish to return it to its supplied state To reset the X5V to its factory default the following was provided by Zoom:

"Unplug the dsl from the mack of the modem. On the back of the modem is a little paper clip hole. Insert a paperclip into the back for a few seconds. Once you have done this the link light should go out after you have released it. This will set the modem back to factory without any global village settings being updated."

I assume that by 'mack' they mean 'back' but maybe they also sell a waterproof version!!

Anyway, good luck and if anyone succeeds please leave a note and also tell Plustalk support
N/A

Zoom X5v VOIP with PlusTalk - THE ANSWER!

OK so it took me a while but to explain..... about 3 months ago i did place a post here about the cool Zoom router (had just got one and people were asking questions about VOIP hardware that would include PSTN - read on) and for the price it is a good one! - it is limited on firewall or virtual server entries or something like that if i remember but not to bad - the one thing that really interested me was the possibility of VOIP to telephone connection and the fact that it also handled the PSTN network (std BT calls) all through one phone(meaning one less piece of c**p on my desk YIPPPPIEEE).

After many hours or trying to setup plustalk i gave in and asked both plusnet and zoom both giving the same answers as the chap in this post! - (oh btw the Global village stuff that the unit comes with works fine i just wanted to use plusnet coz of the integration and 0845 number etc.)

FAST FOWARD!!

2 weeks ago i decide to give it all another go! and got same results (details about setting-up other hardware now being available) so i contacted just zoom this time - first reply was pants it might as well have been a automated blah blah have you plugged it in message (most infuriating when you an it tech like me!) so i sent a sturn reply!

Yesterday morning i receive not 1 but 4 e-mails from the tech support at Zoom with lots of info and including there new firmware (BETA x5v-Bld25.1-GV-70-F )for the router!

I merely did as instructed and uploaded the new firmware and re added all my settings and included the plustalk setting (having disabled the auto download stuff for global village) and after some trial and error of what setting goes where all is fine and dandy! YHIPPIE!!! IT WORKS WITH THE NEW FIRMWARE

WARNING !!!!!!!
The new firmware is only BETA and it's screwed my firewall setting completely!! but i don't use the firewall only the virtual servers so no probs for me!!

Don't know when Zoom will launch the new (working) firmware but it's all looking rosier to me for the future - i really recommend this super (now working with plustalk) router.

Image of setup included - just to help!

REGARDS OZ.

N/A

Zoom X5v with PlusTalk?

Nice one sorcerer, but should that not be Sourcerer? lol
Good of you to update us on that.
Think I shall wait another year yet, till peeps learn that I am not going to ring them on 087 numbers, regardless of what deal I'm on.
By the way, what is the small print on 087 numbers with Plustalk?
I'm on BT3 at the moment, but resent having to pay national prices on those numbers, so as far as I'm concerned, they miss out. I find alternatives, and they are there, and they have the time to speak to you, not those blessed machines, believe me, gives me fone rage, which we do not deserve, or need.
Thanks m8.
9411john
Dabbler

Zoom X5v with PlusTalk?

Nice to hear that there may be a solution. I eventually went for Speedtouch modem which works fine but assumes that all calls will be via broadband connection. If you want to make a PSTN call you need a second phone. I am thinking of going back to Zoom primarily because it defaults to a PSTN call and if you want VOIP you have to precede number with a '*' . I prefer this setup as then I only need one phone. However, before I do can someone who has got the Zoom to work answer two question:

1 If you have Caller Display is the number of an incoming PSTN call displayed?

2 If you dial 1471 are you advised of the number of the last incoming PSTN call?

Also is the firmware update still in beta mode? I cannot find any mention of it on Zoom web site!
N/A

Zoom X5v with PlusTalk?

I have one of these and it refused to work until I applied the firmware upgrade, now works 100% fine (when plustalk is actually up that is!!!)using the stadard setings as they supply in the guide for x-lite.
Still getting to grips with the dialling plans to enable auto selection but not hard just to press # to get a pstn line
Jules