cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZoneAlarm Pro - Vector Monitor shutting down on dial-up

N/A

I have just updated my ZoneAlarm Pro to 5.5.094.000 and now I'm having problems with the Vector Monitor shutting down when I’m using Outlook 2002 to dial out via my Orange SPV C550 mobile phone. Vector monitor stays up for about 30 seconds, then it shuts down, dropping my connection. I then have to re-boot to get my dial-up to work.
My current work-round is to shut down ZoneAlarm before using Outlook (which I’m not to happy about) and then dial out.
Everything fine when I’m at home using my wireless network and ADSL modem.

Any ideas?

Hardware: Sony Vaio VGN-S2XP portable.
O/S: Windows XP SP2, with Windows firewall switched off.
Connection via bluetooth to SPV C550, using GPRS.
Antivirus S/W: Norton 2005.
7 REPLIES
N/A

ZoneAlarm True Vector Monitor

Hi vthreeconnect,

Humm!! this is a bit strange anyway have you got Outlook 2002 showing in your ZA list of programs? Outlook 2002 should be "allowed connect" both local and internet and also "allow server" again both local & internet.

I just cannot help wondering if ZA is getting upset by the dial out via the Orange SPV C550 mobile phone connection?? if the connection is a wee bit flakey this might be enough to trip the vector monitoring to drop the connection as a defensive or security action. Plus another thought is that GPRS is quite a different kind of connection to either a normal dialup phone line connection or ADSL. Doesnt GPRS use a signal and bandwidth differently and doesnt it use cells?? to transmitt data this might also make a difference I dont know??

**ZA Vector Monitor service is also dependant upon RPC remote proceedure call service.

**Has this ONLY happened since the ZA upgrade or update??

Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

Hi Ivan

Yes before the upgrade, the connection worked perfectly. The Outlook 2002 works fine on ADSL at home, which suggests the program parameters for Outlook 2002 in ZA was OK.
I was wondering if it was worth moving\renaming the RDB files in windows\internet logs and then try again?
I did notice that the Vector Monitor is creating a large zip file in this directory called vsmon_2nd_(date)_(time)_dmp.zip. Would this have any clues why it was failing and what do I need to read it?

Stuart
N/A

ZoneAlarm Replying Ivan

Hello Stuart,

OK so ZA works fine with Outlook 2002 on ADSL which is as it should be as mine also works fine I'm also running ZA & Outlook 2002.

**NO! NO! DONT Attempt to remove or rename the RDB files in windows\internet logs this is a part of ZoneAlarm and you will damage the program if you do this**

** In the version of ZoneAlarm I'm working with it doesnt have any file/s called vsmon_2nd_(date)_(time)_dmp.zip in the windows\internet logs folder. These file/s might be completely genuine, it sounds like the true vector monitoring service is just dumping data it records and which is doesnt need any longer and so too save space its zipping these files up. I strongly doubte you will be able to open & view the contents on these zip files (you might be able to open them but view/read them is another issue entirely). I doubte this will give you any useful answers, your best bet is going to be windows event log, application or system logs.

I suggest you run any anti virus software you have on your machine over windows & the internet logs folder just to be certain you dont have an infection & also any spyware or adware software too also as a precaution.

**Nop! I stick to what I said before I have a feeling that this problem is either ZoneAlarm version specific i.e. a known issue or bug in the software or more likely caused by the previous update itself, or by the nature of the GPRS mobile phone connection its very hard to tell to be honest.

**Why NOT contact ZoneLabs support and ask them for some advise on this, ask them if a mobile phone connection using GPRS could have problems. Also worth having a look through any FAQ's or Knowledge base on ZoneLabs.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Ivan
Sorry for the delay in getting back. Anyway, the vsmon_2nd_(date)_(time)_dmp.zip look like a dump when the true vector monitoring shuts down; that why I wondered if I could read it to see what the issue was. I took you advice and ran a full virus scan, but everything was clean.
I also tried ZA support, but I’m still waiting for a reply. I had looked at ZA FAQ before I started this thread, but I couldn’t find anything. However, using your suggestion, I tried again, searching on GPRS and success, I found the same issue, be it after XP upgrade to SP2 and different hardware! Unfortunately, there was a no answer to the problem.
Not sure where to go now. I think you are right in it’s something to do with GPRS, as everything works OK if I use the mobile as a normal modem.
You mentioned some logs, where would I find them to have a look?

Stuart
N/A

ZA & GPRS problem,Ivan

Hi vthreeconnect,

Yes! I think you have done quite well thus far with this problem. As for ZA support dont hold your breath, in my experience of technical support from such companies like this, they dont fall overthemselves. Even when they do reply often the response isnt that useful, sadly!!. Perhaps I'm just a cynic of course?

I'm almost certain this is a GPRS related problem, GPRS is dependant on a good strong signal strength like any mobile phone conversation and if the signal was abit on the weaker side then I can see the connection breaking up just like a normal mobile phone call and if this happened then this might well be enough to scupper the connection itself.

**GPRS doesnt send & receive data like other connections, it uses a different size data framing rate & different sized packets & data cells to broadband or dialup phone connections. This might have some bearing upon the nature of the problem but I dont know very much about how GPRS works for send/receivig data. I guess its more like wireless (WiFi) internet connectivity.

**For the event logs in windows XP & Win2K, goto start button, start menu, settings,control panel, administrative tools, event viewer. The Event Viewer has x3 different logs, application, system, security. If you are going to find anything helpful/useful my guess is that it will be in the application or system logs.

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Hi Ivan

Just to update and to close this thread. The issue started when I upgraded to 5.5.064.000. So over the weekend, I did a clean re-install of 5.5.062.011, and hey presto everything is working fine.
All that I can conclude is that wireless security protection rolled out in 064 was causing the problem.

Thanks for your help.
N/A

Finally

Hi,

No Problem! just glad you finally got it to work Cool

Best Regards Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator