cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zone Alarm Stops Disk Turn Off

pcorker
Grafter

ZA (free V4&5) accesses my HD roughly every 4 seconds so the disk can never turn off (spin down). If I disable ZA then the disk can turn off.

The ZA forum suggests that this is due to ZA reacting to pings. Does anyone else have this problem and has anyone solved it?

Is there a free (I have spent all my money trying to cool down this red-hot Prescott!) alternative firewall which would allow my HD to turn off?

I'm on XP home and AVG7 Pro which all work fine apart from this issue.

Thanks in advance,
Pat.
6 REPLIES
N/A

sygate personal firewall

www.sygate.com/firewall/

i think thats the link any how

Buz
lowry
Grafter

Hi there,
About 6 months back, I switched from ZoneAlarm to Sygate Personal Firewall (free for personal/home use) and have never looked back. It isn't quite as user-friendly but it does not take too long to get to grips with and seems to keep my system secure, and unlike ZoneAlarm , it has never caused an issue with my system or any instability.

Other free firewalls worth a go are:

It may also be worth having a quick read of the essential security software tutorial that Peter wrote, here.

matt Wink
chroma
Dabbler

Are you sure you've turned off all the logging options. These would cause frequent disk writes and can take up a lot of disk space.
Ian
pcorker
Grafter

Augiga
CAN they be turned off in the free version? I can't remember now!
I changed to Sygate (after a struggle!) and still have disk activity so I was probably wrong to blame ZA!

I will have to delve into XP's million and one settings instead!

I notice that Sygate is more informative and has a lot more things to configure and cause panic. I see a green spike every 20 seconds in the Outgoing Traffic History graph with, seemingly, no corresponding logged event. Blocking everything does not effect it. The only way to stop it is to disable the network adapter. Interesting?

I also get the feeling that Sygate notices the 101 background tasks that XP seems to take upon itself. Like why do ntoskrnl and ndisuio keep trying to access the internet (or something) and why is andygrindle.plus.net pinging me on ICMP so often? Why is blocked ntoskrnl allowed to regularly access 80.229.136.255 (...and why does it want to?)!

I can't decide whether to spend 2 hours reading the manual or just go back to ZA. and less information!
Pat.
Community Veteran

Go to www.sysinternals.com and download filemon. This will tell you what apps are writing to disk. Note: disable everything you can think of including email, browsers, MSN, any background apps like virus scanners etc to minimise what could write then see if it still happens.
chroma
Dabbler

Not sure if the free version is any different in that it won't allow you to stop logging, don't see why it shouldn't though.
I've been using V3.5 for some time now and have never had any trouble or virus attacks whilst using it. I too have noticed continual pinging from certain plusnet users, I assume they have a virus themselves. Don't recognise either of those running processes you mention but as so many run in XP it can be very hard to be sure what is legit sometimes.
Ian