cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP and long periods on the internet

N/A

I seem to have an issue where if i leave my pc on, usually for something like 12 hours straight, connected to the internet, it will no longer allow connections to be made and webpages or anything else like that will not work

strangely though msn messenger will work, if it was connected before the net cuts out, but will not allow use of any features other than chatting with perhaps 1 or 2 people.

I am using an expensive router and my xbox or other pcs in the house will still work through it even if my pc has gone down, indicating some kind of software problem

i initially thouht it may be down to lease time on the ip address for my pc, so i upped that to several weeks just in case. which doesnt work either

if anyone has any suggestions this would be great as i dont realy have the time to format my pc at the moment.

- PS - my pc is virus and spyware free Wink
7 REPLIES
N/A

in XP SP2 ms hacked the TCP stack allowing only a limited number of sockets to be opend at one time (the idea was to slow down P2P) in your case, i would sugest 12 hours would be long enough for a suficient number of pages to load that have shoddy code in that do not close out sockets and thus you run out of free sockets. there is of course a TCP hack to fix this issue, just google it Smiley
N/A

i had thought about that [sockets/memory not being closed properly somewhere]

ill check out the hack when i get home
thanks for reply matey
N/A

its called the "xpsp2tcpipfix.exe"

btw Wink
N/A

get it from my site

http://www.janwright.co.uk/tcip.zip

If it is this thats causing the problem it should show up in the event log Event ID 4226
N/A

wow, i did not know they were so kind to inform you that your sockets were used up Smiley
N/A

well thanks to everyone, both informative and sarcastic lol
N/A

in XP SP2 ms hacked the TCP stack allowing only a limited number of sockets to be opend at one time (the idea was to slow down P2P)

Yes MS changed the maximum number of half-open con-current connections to 10, but it was actually to slow down the spread of worms and such like.

It generally only affects people when using P2P.