cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

XP Pro - email problems

N/A

XP Pro - email problems

Hi,

I wonder whether anyone can help? I've got a network of 5 PCs, using a Netgear hub and Wingate.

I installed Broadband yesterday, and all of the networked PCs are fine - connecting to the Internet and send/receiving emails - except mine, which is XP Pro.

Most of the time I do a send/receive I get an error on all accounts:

"Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Account: 'barns01', Server: 'mail.plus.net', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F"

Very occasionally, one of the accounts works (seemingly at random) and emails arrive.

I found another forum message suggesting an XP user download Service Pack 1 for OE which I've just done, but it hasn't made any difference.

Any suggestions, please?

Jackie
5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

XP Pro - email problems

Try deleting then recreating the account(s) in OE and see if that fixes things. Sometimes OE can corrupt it's settings.

Also make sure you have all the XP fixes/updates from windows update installed.
N/A

XP Pro - email problems

Hi Peter,

thanks for the reply. It's taken me a while, but I've done everything you suggested, to no avail.

I've also tried disabling Norton Anti Virus and the Wingate Firewall, but neither made a difference.

Two out of 12 email accounts are receiving occasionally, but not every time I do a send/receive. There's nothing different about the set up of these accounts as far as I can see, and I'm not able to send emails via them at all.

Alll accounts have the SMTP set to relay.plus.net.

The only idea that I have (but don't know what to do about) is that to solve a FrontPage upload problem I had a while back I changed my settings in Internet Options/Connections/LAN settings/ to tick the proxy server, named my local server on port 80, ticked 'bypass proxy server for local settings' and set up some exceptions under Advanced to enable me to publish to my websites using FrontPage.

I wonder whether this has anything to do with it? I've tried unticking the proxy server, and the bypass proxy boxes with no success. Should ingoing and outgoing emails be included in the exceptions, perhaps? (Clutching at straws, here ;o)

Jackie
N/A

XP Pro - email problems

The most common cause is what peter mentioned, corrupt OE settings. It also needs a valid return address.
If you have not put in a vaid return address (x@username.com) OE will not send.
You have to delete the whole account, not just delete the inputs and retype them, this will not work. What can happen is that invalid and invisible characters are inserted in the settings. The only way to remove these is to delete the account and set up anew.

Try a different mail client, such as Eudora, Thunderbird or Incredimail and see if the problem persists. All of these use their own settings, so if the problem goes, it is the settings in OE

You should not have needed to do what you did for Frontpage, unless it was to get around your firewall.
N/A

XP Pro - email problems

Hi,

yes, the proxy setting changes I made were to get around the firewall. I upgraded to a new version of Wingate, which caused the problem.

I'll have a go with a different email client - thanks for the suggestion.

Jackie
N/A

XP Pro - email problems

Hi,

just thought I'd let you know that I've connected this XP Pro PC directly to the Binatone modem and email and internet are working fine, so at least I know it's nothing to do with this PC and the email account settings are OK.

I upgraded to the latest version of Wingate on our server and I can't even connect to the Internet from it, now! I suspect that the Wingate settings were to blame for the earlier problem ... I shall have to read up about it tomorrow and try to sort it out.

Thanks for you advice, anyway.

Jackie