cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-Lite Setup with Apple Mac OSX

N/A

Plusnet Team cannot help me with setup with Apple Mac using OSX 10.4 and suggest that if any members have details of how to setup on a Mac they submit them here please.

Using Mac with OSX 10.4 ( Not Intel)
Netgear Rouer DG834GT

Any help would be appriciated. :?:

Allan
11 REPLIES
N/A

Although I no longer use Plustalk I still have X-Lite setup on my Powerbook G4 running OSX Tiger with the old Plustalk settings (which definitely worked). I now use it with Sipgate.

Looking at the 'old' Plustalk settings I am not sure what I changed within the various menus ! Assuming you have downloaded & opened X-Lite 2.0 you then need to click on the menu button and go into System Settings and then SIP Proxy and then click on the default entry. From there the settings are:-

Enabled: Yes
Display Name: [Your name]
Username: plustalk
Authorisation User: [Your SIP no]
Password: [Your password]
Domain Realm: [username].plus.com
SIP Proxy: sip.plus.net
Out Bound Proxy: [blank field]
Use Outbound Proxy: Default
Send Internal IP: Never
Register: Default
Voicemail SIP URL
Forward SIP URL

From memory I also had to go back to the System Settings and click on 'Network'. I won't list all the settings but:-

Auto Detect IP should be 'Yes'
Primary STUN server should be 'stun.sipgate.net:10000'
Secondard STUN server should be 'stun.sipgate.net:10000'

I am not familiar with the Netgear DG834GT but assuming UPnP is enabled then you should not need to set up port forwarding.

Suggest you try the above and see if it works. If not, then you could try opening an account with sipgate (its free) and follow the setup instructions on their web page. If it works with Sipgate then it will rule out any port forwarding problem on your router and you can concentrate on getting the settings correct for Plustalk.

Hope this helps.

Ruslyn
N/A

Thanks for that Ruslyn
I tried both and still get this result now....
"awaiting proxy login information" I get dialtone and number dieals ok but it then says "call not approved"

I seem to have all settings ok on ac and on the Xlite as they direct.

Any ideas?

thanks

Allan
N/A

Allan

The error message you are getting would indicate to me that Xlite is setup OK but there is an error at the Plusnet end authorising the call.

Have you setup Plustalk on the Portal? If you have then try dialing a freephone number (which should not need authorising) to see if it works. You could also try dialling into your Plustalk number to see if you can receive calls.

Ruslyn
N/A

Ruslyn

yes the portal account is setup ok and has been for a few days. I tried what you suggested and stiil get this "call not aproved" even with freephone numbers

tried dialing my own softphone number same result
this is driving me crazy.. Plusnet team just dont seem to know

The netgear router settings are ok as well.

I also tried setting up a new Firewall in Sharing prefs with UDP ports 3478, 5060, 8000, 8001 open.. Still no joy

were to go from here :?:

thanks

Allan
Community Veteran

I'm not using a Mac PC but the ONLY way that I can get the X-lite to work is to not use the DHCP option from my router and set up each of my PC's with fixed address, gateway etc.

I'm not familier with the Mac I'm afraid but if that option is possible then it would be worth a try.
N/A

Plustalk is down at the moment, PN will take a day or two to acknowledge this. If the fault is the same as the previous one this week then outgoing PSTN calls will not work but sip to sip calls should.
N/A

Thanks for that. I know I have been having horrendous speed drops this last month which lusnet cannot fathom out yet At one point it was down to 26Kbps!!.. So I assume all this is related.
thanks again

Allan Smiley
N/A

Hi, I think you'll find that the problem is with Plusnet...again!
I'm running 10.4.7 and using an Airport basestation connected to a ethernet router and my Voip service has not worked for days, and my line speeds have also been slooow.
Its not been my setup as when I connect to my neighbours network the speeds pick right up.
Moderators note by John (johnessex) Full quote of preceding post removed as per the Link:rules
Community Veteran

I'm not using a Mac PC but the ONLY way that I can get the X-lite to work is to not use the DHCP option from my router and set up each of my PC's with fixed address, gateway etc.

As a contrast to this I've got plustalk / xlite working fine using DHCP on the few occaisions I've used it on win 98 first edition and OSX 10.4.6/7 (not sure which it was when I tried it).
N/A

Cheesy Thanks for all your help guys. I finally got it working today. partly Plusnet connection problems and partly one setup detail at my end.
I have now tried phoning landlines and have been succesful on two occassions I have tried.. Fingers crossed that we have got this terrible line speed drop after 5pm to 11pm each night!!
Thanks again for all your input.
By the way ANYBODY WHO ANTS help setting up XLITE with Apple Mac and OSX then let me know and I will help them... :lol:
N/A

I'd greatly appreciate you posting a working setup for X-Lite under OSX 10.4.8 if you could.

I had this thing working last night. Made a call to a landline with no answer as they were out. Came back to it today and it's not working again!

Keep getting a 408 timeout error.

Once we have recommended OSX settings for X-Lite, maybe the moderators would create a sticky for other mac users to use.

Regards,

John