cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-Lite 3 settings?

N/A

X-Lite 3 settings?

The setup instructions refer to an out-of-date version of X-Lite. The version on the download page is 3.0 (for Windows). I've tried to set this up, but I keep getting registration error 479: "We do not accept private IP contacts". What does this mean? Are instructions being prepared for version 3 of the software? Thanks.
14 REPLIES
JonathanW
Grafter

X-Lite 3 settings?

Yes, we're working on updating the portal with instructions for v3 of the software.

As for the error you're seeing, I've had something similar when trying to set up Eyebeam, which is also from the same company.
N/A

X-Lite 3 settings?

I've had some success: it seems it's important to specify the STUN server under the Topology tab (rather than let it discover one by itself). I initially tried the server mentioned somewhere n the Free-Online hardware setup information, but that didn't work. After reading some related posts elsewhere, I tried:
stun.counterpath.net
as the STUN server. This works -- at least, the software is now registering onto the Free-Online servers. I have to wait till the evening to test it fully.
N/A

X-Lite 3 settings?

I've been trying to get this to work also, and have tried various things. I'm working from the old instructions, though, which do not seem to have been updated at all. If anyone knows how to get this working let me know. Thanks.
Community Veteran

X-Lite 3 settings?

have a look at my post here:

http://portal.free-online.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5154

all help gratefully recieved
Cool
John
nixfix

Xlite3 settings

I got error 479 as well, but I tried a few things from Xlite's own forum, and it now works fine (for outgoing calls anyway)
The account details are as the current FOL guide, but the Topology settings are different.
You need the following boxes ticked/settings:
Discover Global Address
Use Specified Server: stun.counterpath.net
Enable ICE
Use XTunnels: Never

No port range or anything else needs setting.
My test call to 7000 was perfect after this (with a bit of jiggling with the Audio settings)
My incoming 0845 number goes to answerphone though, but that seems to be a common problem.
Community Veteran

X-Lite 3 settings?

Thanks.

I've gotten outgoing to work ok (there are at least three different sets of set up instructions on the portal, and I found a combination that worked), but no-one seems to be able to tell me how to get the 0845 number to work.

John
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

X-Lite 3 settings?

If you're using a router I think you need to make 2 changes in the settings to make this work. I assume you're using X-Lite, go to SIP account settings and on the Topology Tab set IP address to "Discover global address" and set STUN server to use specified server and enter stun.xten.net

Those settings seem to work OK for me.

On the account tab I have the following set

username - my SIP ID (the 2xxxxx number)
password - account password
authorisation username - SIP ID
domain - sip.plus.net
domain proxy - set to proxy and entered sip.plus.net

That should work (even with sip.plus.net rather than a Free-Online address).
Community Veteran

X-Lite 3 settings?

Thanks for the reply. I've used those settings (as per the first instructions I saw) and they didn't work. I get an error message (401). I've just tried again with the same result. my settings are below:

Sip accounts and properties
I've used "display name" that'll be me then.
"User name" - plustalk
"password" - my FOL password
"authorization name" - plustalk
"domain" - (my FOL user name).free-online.net

ticked the "register with domain ...." box
"send outbound via" proxy address sip.free-online.net

under topology STUN server "use specified server" - stun.xten.net

I can make calls ok, but the incoming number goes straight to voicemail.

John
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

X-Lite 3 settings?

A 401 error usually indicates wrong SIP ID or password, worth double checking that you've got the right SIP number.

Otherwise, have you forwarded port 5060 on your router?
Community Veteran

X-Lite 3 settings?

Thanks Dave. I haven't done that (not sure I know how to, but I'll have a play) As I said, I can make outgoing calls, which is the main thing for me anyway. I've just had a conversation with a friend on their landline, and they said it was "a bit quiet" is there any way to boost the gain a bit?

John
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

X-Lite 3 settings?

This website is pretty good for port forwarding:

http://www.portforward.com/

I suspect that the port forwarding is what's causing the incoming calls to go the the answerphone, without the port being forwarded the broadband phone servers our side can't initiate a connection to your X-Lite client to let you know there's a call.

There is a calibration utility with X-Lite which runs when you first install it, not sure how you can re-run it. Might be worth looking at the support forum for X-Lite:

http://support.counterpath.net/
Community Veteran

X-Lite 3 settings?

Thanks. I'll give those a try.

John
N/A

X-lite (Registration error 408 Request Timeout)

X-lite
Version 3.0 release 1009r build 38964

In properties of account - domain proxy, when I tick the box register with domain and receive incoming calls. The network is not discovered and I get this error
(Registration error 408 Request Timeout).

Also when following the online instruction, it tell me to go to Topology and use (Use XTunnels) by using (7. Select Automatic from the dropdown menu for Use XTunnels.) The (Use XTunnels) does not exist in the Apple Mac version of the software.

Bill
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

X-Lite 3 settings?

Hi,

On the Mac version I've got "register with doamin and receive incoming calls" set to proxy with sip.plus.net entered as the address.

On the topology tab I've got IP address set to "use local IP address", STUN server set to use specified server and stun.xten.net entered. Enable ICE is ticked and Manually specify range start set to 5060 and end set to 5061.