cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

X-Lite 3.0 - NO, Express Talk - YES!

N/A

Hi guys,

I have been reading posts here and I have seen a few relating to the same kind of problem I am experiencing with X-Lite. I have entered the details exactly as described in the setup guide, but it seems to have been written for Pre- XLite 3. The v.3 setup options are diffrerent to those described in the current guide....Anyway, I have been pulling my hair out trying to get it to work. I keep getting errors pointing toward authentication etc. All ports are forwarded on the router, firewall is configured correctly but still no joy.

I read in an earlier post that someone was using Express talk..It was a doddle to set up, just asking for minimal info and it went straight in and I was able to use my Plus-Talk account. This proves the network is OK both ends and that it seems that X-Lite is just a bit of a pig to set up.

Logic says that now I have Express Talk up and running, I should just stick with it, but after spending so long getting nowhere with X-Lite, I want to be able to get to the bottom of the problem.

If anyone knows what the correct setup procedure for X-Lite 3.0 is, please let me know.

Thanks in advance

Rich
28 REPLIES
cardsharp
Dabbler

Just to say that you are not alone, I cannot get X-Lite 3.0 to work either.

My latest error is "Call failed: we dont accept private IP contacts". I have sent a request to the helpdesk for assistance with the settings. If anything comes back that is helpful then I'll post it here.
N/A

It sounds as if you have got further than I did, at least it seems to be attempting to make the call.

I look forward to hearing what the helpdesk have to say.

Regards
cardsharp
Dabbler

It sounds as if you have got further than I did, at least it seems to be attempting to make the call.

Not necessarily although this appears be from/through the SIP proxy (sip.plus.net). But I know my password is not being checked in the process so I have some way to go.
N/A

stun server

I've got it working...

Settings:
Display name : Joe Bloggs
username: plustalk
password: ******** Smiley
auth username: plustalk
domain: joebloggs.plus.com

check the "Register with domain", select 'proxy', and put 'sip.plus.net' in the box.
(also try the ip address, which is 84.92.5.190)

Topology tab:
discover global ip address
stun: use specified server: stun.counterpath.net [PN : we need our own stun server!]

use ICE.
N/A

no router changes needed

by the way, I have *no* changes made to my router configuration. (no DMZ, no port-forwarding, no new filter rules...)

you do need to make sure windows firewall has x-lite as an exception.
cardsharp
Dabbler

Many thanks - I'm working now too Cheesy

The key change was to specify the STUN server.

Cheers

Paul
N/A

Excellent job guys!

It's alive! Smiley

Many thanks for your help Wink

Rich
N/A

Hi all,

Just to let you know, Ive written up a setup guide for x-lite 3.0 and passed it onto the people who update the portal guides already, just waiting for them to tidy it up a bit and publish it on the portal.

Yes, as you found (and I did too) with 3.0 you need to specify the stun server. This is included in the guide I have emailed to my colleagues.

Regards,

Mike Holmes
PlusNet Customer Support
N/A

I agree with the comment that we need our own PlusTalk STUN server.

I've been telling PN that on my open ticket since October 2005
cardsharp
Dabbler

Re: no router changes needed

by the way, I have *no* changes made to my router configuration. (no DMZ, no port-forwarding, no new filter rules...)

you do need to make sure windows firewall has x-lite as an exception.

I sit behind a Speedtouch 580 router and also did not need to make any changes to its standard configuration.

In particular, I did not open any ports nor unbind the (default) SIP application from port 5060. (Actually I did all of these things trying to get it to work Smiley but have reset everything now the STUN server does the work).
N/A

If your router will support UPnP, most applications will utilise this for NAT Traversal without any further user input offering 'seamless operation'. (If the apps support UPnP that is :? )

It seems so obvious now - I kick myself for spending so much time and getting stressed with X-Lite! Express Talk uses a default STUN server which was already configured :roll:
N/A

thanks for the additional infomation but im getting a 408 error when i try registering anyone know what this could be i followed the guide above Huh?
weeeck
Grafter

Thanks holemd, configured X-lite 3.0 with the settings you mentioned, of course using my account details, but I'm getting a 407 error Proxy Authentication.

Very strangeHuh
N/A

Try changing the SIP proxy IP address...

My dad had a problem in that he didn't get the IP address of sip.plus.net, correct.

So, if you used the IP address above, that is no longer the correct one and will change.

If you just put in sip.plus.net it should work

(To test this, the correct IP address now is 84.92.0.75)

I would in general recommend that people *don't* use the DNS server inside their broadband router, but use one of plus net's. I won't put an IP address up here, but you should be able to find it from the router's configuration/status pages (look for name server, with an ip address that isn't 10.x.x.x. or 192.x.x.x). You can configure this (in Windoze) in Control Panel -> Network Connections -> Local Area Connection -> TCP/IP (in the list) -> Properties - uncheck the 'obtain DNS address automaticaly' and put in the IP address you find!

Dave