cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Vista

N/A

Windows Vista

Just got Vista and can't get X Lite to work. Downloaded Express Talk and that won't work either. Anybody got them working with Vista?
6 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Windows Vista

I suspect this is because Vista uses the IPv6 protocol (by default) and the software works only with IPv4. The solution may be to disable IPv6 on your network connection as described at the following reference

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/columns/cableguy/cg0506.mspx
Disabling IPv6
Unlike Windows XP, IPv6 in Windows Vista cannot be uninstalled. To disable IPv6 on a specific connection, you can do the following:

• In the Network Connections folder, obtain properties of the connection and clear the check box next to the Internet Protocol version 6 (TCP/IPv6) component in the list under This connection uses the following items. This method disables IPv6 on your LAN interfaces and connections, but does not disable IPv6 on tunnel interfaces or the IPv6 loopback interface.

The computer needs to be restarted after making this change.

I emphasise I have not tried this (I do not have access to Vista) and do not know if there are side-effects. Please ensure you have backed up your registry before making changes.

Hope this helps Smiley

David
David
N/A

Tried It

Thanks for that. I gave it a go but it just locked my internet connection completely. Put back to normal with System Restore. I've now put the problem in the hands of F9 tech support, so hopes aren't high. Skype is working fine so will use that in future. Thanks for your input.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 38

Windows Vista

Thanks for giving it a try and letting me know this didn't help Sad The side-effects of the change are unfortunate. Glad to hear System Restore enabled you to recover from these.

David
David
N/A

Windows Vista

you could buy the speedtouch 716wl v5 router from f9 its a true real-time quality voip (not skype) You dont need your computer on to make and receive calls (after setup) you can attach a normal phone to the router.

I got mine from f9 and its a great bit of kit and its wirless too I have my webcam plugged in to it as well

I try and use as many of my free calls every month (240) I find the quality the same as a normal call

And its not going to break the bank to buy it!!! unlike the draytel

Michael
Moggy
Grafter

Windows Vista

I know this is a bit late but I have just loaded the X-lite software and I'm using Vista with no problems found. In fact it works a treat. What I did feel a twit with though is that I've only just realised that I had 240 mins a month to use!! What a dope......
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Windows Vista

I tried out Vista for a while, but it started getting a bit flakey and 1GB of RAM just isn't enough for it. Did try X-Lite though and it worked fine, setup was exactly the same as other versions of Windows (and OS X for that matter).