cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows Critical Updates

Community Veteran

Windows Critical Updates

Anyone got any ideas for this one?

In my employers network we have about 50 machines, some running XP Pro, some 2k and some are still running NT 4. All connect through active directory and we run a main fileserver where shared files are stored.

I want to be able to get these machines to automatically run Windows updates, however not all network users have internet access, so without me logging on to thier machines and running the updates it is currently not possible.

Ideally I want them to look for updates on our file server, we do this at present with McAffee updates.

Any ideas on how i can do this with the minimal of fuss?

Chris
6 REPLIES
N/A

Windows Critical Updates

Visit THIS page.

See the section entitled "Software Update Distribution Services for Organizations"

THIS contains pretty much all the details listed on the whole deployment subject.

The top link contains the specific item that should be what you are looking for. Only problem is, it adds a new item to the daily todo list.
Community Veteran

Windows Critical Updates

Thanks for that, there is certainly alot of reading but it looks like it will do what I want.

Chris
N/A

Windows Critical Updates

It is a strange firm which lets windows update go out onto all pc without first testing them. Most firms will have a change control so this cant happen. If a update crashs a pc( thats not uncommon) then you could end up with 50 crashed pcs.

At the end of the day its a desicion you must make do you take a easy route and update all pc and risk them all crashing or do you firsts test the fixes to make sure they are safe?

Your best bet is to download the patchs test them on one pc and then repackage them with wise and do a silent install with the logon script. The users doesnt even kow it happened.

Its a simply script in the login if updates =1 then install /s if update =0 then next.

It depends if you use kix vb etc for your scripts but you get the idea

[Moderator's note (by acarr): Deleted duplicate post]
Community Veteran

Windows Critical Updates

Hmm, you make a good point.

It would be difficult to test one one PC though, as I said we have 3 different OSs running.

Chris
N/A

Windows Critical Updates

You put a price on each pc as to what that pc costs if its down for a day. So a manager may cost £1000 another may only be £300. having done this for each O/S send the updates to these first and wait to see if they are ok before applying it to all. This way you reduce the risk.

Only a few updates ar supper critical so is it worth doin updates? I worked for a bank were if the network went down it cost 1 million pounds per hour. There judgment was having got a stable working O/S dot change it unless its something like the worm update. If half can not connect the net they are in no danger anyway.

You can spend all day doing updates and there often is no point
Community Veteran

Windows Critical Updates

I dont know, that what I'm thinking, especially with most users not having internet access and a pretty good mail sweeper and firewall setup. Poor guys, I'd probably die Smiley