cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WinMX

N/A

WinMX

Can anybody help?

When I try to make a primary connection I never receive any search results but when I make a secondary connection I receive search results but I can't download them. I'm choosing files with loads of users and and fast connections just to test and still no luck.

When I was using dial up I never had any probs...any suggestions?Huh
12 REPLIES
N/A

WinMX

Which account are you on? The ADSL Home Surf account blocks p2p activity, so you would be lucky to even get that far.
N/A

WinMX

I'm on the easy start package which allows p2p
Community Veteran

WinMX

Why cant you make a primary connection? If you are running a router with NAT you could add a port forward to pass the relevent ports through to your computer.

Also if you run a software firewall make sure you allow the relevent ports.

Chris
Community Veteran

WinMX

Hmm... bear in mind; someone using EasyStart is unlikely to be using a router. Smiley

Thomas
Community Veteran

WinMX

Ah yes, never thought about that....

Chris
N/A

WinMX

i used to use winmx a lot but found it to be a bit hit and miss,i now use dc++(direct connect )and havent looked back ,far more reliable and a lot more users with good connections(512 or above)but make sure you read the hub rules,i gave details and address of a certain hub i use while on another ,got kicked off,my pc froze and had to restart,on restart it said invalid boot disketc and had to get a mate to fix(im not pc literateHuh?).apparently it was a bit of malicious code sent to me as punishment Sad,so read hub rules
N/A

WinMX

I can make a primary connection but I'm not getting any search results.

I'm not running a router but i am using a firewall and all relevant ports are available. Would I get better results using a router?

I'll use dc and see how I get on...
N/A

WinMX

Just realized a routers not needed as it's just a single user pc!!
N/A

WinMX

i gave details and address of a certain hub i use while on another ,got kicked off,my pc froze and had to restart,on restart it said invalid boot disketc and had to get a mate to fix(im not pc literateHuh?).apparently it was a bit of malicious code sent to me as punishment Sad,so read hub rules

I would seriously reconsider the use of that service.

If malicious code can be sent and run on your system, there is very obviously the ability to create and and backdoor your system.

Remember, while you may run somthing like zonealarm, the code could be created such that zonealarm thinks it is a program with permisions, thus it is never blocked.
N/A

WinMX

i know what u mean ,i think ill give it 1 last try and see how i get on as its such a good prog,just have to obey rules.i think it was malicious code i may be wrong as mate didnt say ,just very strange that i get kicked off hub then pc freezes then cant start pc,more than a coincidece me thinks?
N/A

WinMX

Sometimes I found that opening a second search using the same criteair yields results - not that I've had much problem with primary connections but its worth trying a second search sometimes.
N/A

WinMX

After a little investigating it seems the problem lies in a conflict between ZoneAlarm, my firewall, and WinMX, problem is I can't seem to get any other firewall to work!!