cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is PlusTalk so expensive

dubiez

How can Plus Talk be more expensive than my current phone provider?
Having preselected a telecom company other than BT (keeping my BT line), I can use my home phone, get a much better quality, don't have to buy a router/IP phone or talk through my PC's microphone, I keep my phone number, and people calling me don't pay through the nose for the charges that come with an 0845 number.
Plus Talk should be cheaper, as it cuts the cost of going through a BT line for the outgoing part of the call.
My phone provider:
http://www.uvtc.com/timepiece/uk/price/private_price.asp?jezik=english
This is not a sales pitch, there are many telecom companies out there that offer cheap phone calls, I only chose this one as it was the cheapest for my circumstances.
When PlusNet announced the launch of Plus Talk, I had great expectations, thinking it would reduce my phone bills even further. Unfortunately it doesn't.
The only think PlusTalk is good for is for making free PC phone calls from PC to PC, but then Skype does that very well with many more functionalities added.

Jerome
8 REPLIES
N/A

I do not find Plustalk expensive. The cost compares well against BT Broadband Talk that I have been using.

If Plustalk gets any cheaper, it would have to be offered free. Perhaps that is what you are asking for. If Plusnet do not earn money on Plustalk, there will be no incentive to either support it or develop it further.
N/A

My current PSTN provider is Tesco and I get unlimited evening and weekend calls for £3.97, the equivilant on Plustalk is £2.99 so it's cheaper I'll be doing some testing over the coming weeks before I move completely to VOIP.

Thanks
Community Veteran

Re: Why is PlusTalk so expensive

The only think PlusTalk is good for is for making free PC phone calls from PC to PC, but then Skype does that very well with many more functionalities added.

Jerome

But only when your PC is switched on, and assumes the person you want to call also knows how to use Skype ... my Gran does not.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

The biggest problem with Plustalk is that the call quality is appalling. I very rarely use it as people at the other end cut out, and i cut out on them.

Yet skype has awesome sound quality, though it is not as cheap as plustalk to call out.

If plustalk improve the sound quality i will stay else i'm off!
Community Veteran

The biggest problem with Plustalk is that the call quality is appalling. /quote]

If you allow your SIP client to select a GSM codec, then this maybe true. Try and get it to select G711 or G726, they will sound much better.

The advantage of GSM is it uses 11kb/s of data, the G711/G726 codec runs at 64kb/s and so use more of your usage allowance, though not huge in any respects.

SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
N/A

I will give that a try but i am almost CERTAIN i have done that already!

I am always open to suggestions, when I get a chance, I will tell you how I get on.

Thanks for the advice anyway.
N/A

Well since you are paying for this, why don't we get that codec for free?
N/A

why are calls to Thailand so expensive

at the moment by using a pre-paid calling card on a london number (included in my telephone package) I get calls to Thailand for less than 2p a minute to landlines and 3p a minute to mobiles - aha I thought plus talk will reduce this further.......err 10p a minute!!!!

Does anyone know a free sip provider in Thailand that pairs with plustalk?

until then its back to skype or even msn