cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do i need to use relay1.plus.net?

N/A

I was having problems sending mail using mozilla thunderbird. It kept saying that the login was incorrect. So I looked at the guides in the help section and although there wasn't one for thunderbird the netscape Communicator one used relay1.plus.net in one of the screenshots. So i tryed that and it worked. So what is the difference between relay1.plus.net and relay.plus.net (that works in outlook. Why do I have to use relay1.plus.net with thunderbird?
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Sounds like you have enabled authentication when sending mail to PlusNets SMTP mail server. This should be disabled as it is not required and your connection will be rejected (as you have seen) if you do try to authenticate when sending.

relay1.plus.net does not care if you try to authenticate or not and will allow mail to be sent. It is meant to be used by some of the older netscape mail apps which have a bug that always try to authenticate an SMTP connection even though you have told it not to. You should use relay.plus.net with thunderbird.
N/A

Oh yeah I got confused with the setup and put the username and password in again for the smtp which obviously turns on authentication. Anyway it works with relay.plus.net now thanks.