cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why disconnect it from the telephone line for a full hour ?

N/A

On several occasions now I have seen advice to disconnect the ADSL Modem/router from the telephone line for a full hour.

Just curious but why an hour? And why is it necessary to turn off the router too?

Regards,

James
4 REPLIES
shellsong
Grafter

I don't think you have to turn off the router if you don't want to-- just disconnect it as far as I know and that's for about 20-30 minutes every 2-3 days so that the BT equipment can log about 3 sets of connection data during the "training" period allegedly!
Community Veteran

shellsong - is the OP reffering to the MSO earlier?

If so I would presume it is just to reset your equipment and line and clear any remaining bugs from the MSO.
prichardson
Grafter

Hi,

It very much depends on the problem itself, as to how long you are advised to do this for.

We would normally advised either 30 minutes or 60, but in most cases recomend 60, as it covers both circumstances. Due to the nature of the problems, it is hard to advise which of the two is going to do the trick anyhow.

The reason for this is known as a stale session. It is were the BT network thinks youa re still connected and will not allow a new session, or does not pass the session to us properly as a result.

This causes more problems with Premier and PAYG users, due to the static IP address.

This hour is in theory supposed to clear down this session, but cannot do so in 100% of cases. We have other utilities available for this, however they take up resourses that can be better deployed and take a long time to perform.

As such, the quickest and simplest approach is for the customer to disconnect.

Kind Regards,
shellsong
Grafter

Shockedops: Hmm! sorry about that-- I thought you were referring to MaxDSL, I hadn't realised there had been a MSO earlier!