cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who Re-Named My IE6?

N/A

Who Re-Named My IE6?

Hello? I've just noticed that my internet explorer is now named "Plusnet Internet Explorer" ( on the top line of browser ) . Maybe I'm losing my marbles! lol, anyone know how and when this changed? I know that some isp's with install cd's install there own ie6 with their own name. But i've never installed or downloaded anything that is "plusnet"
Cheers
9 REPLIES
N/A

IE6 titles replying on Ivan

Hello volcane,

I suspect that what your seing isnt what you think it is? (If that makes sense!).
Yes! you are correct other ISP like AOL "used to" take a normal Mircosoft version of internet explorer and rewite some parts of it, so that some functions were blocked or changed to say AOLs designs. But these tended to be AOL's version of IE which came on an AOL software CD.

No! but in this case I think what your seing is the name of the page you downloaded to view (top left) in the header information on this HTML Page. Its just called PlusNet - Braodband for Home & business - Microsoft Internet Explorer. Its NOT that plusnet have changed anything in IE6 itself its just the text with the page you are viewing.

**You should be able to test my theory by going to any other website and viewing a NON plusnet page and the you will see that, that page (top left) title is called something else - Microsoft Internet Explorer too?

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Who Re-Named My IE6?

Lololol, Hi Ivan, I know exactly what you mean, and yes, the browser name has changed. It is now called "Plusnet Internet Explorer", any page I use. Funny thing is, and I'm not sure on this, has it allways been called "Plusnet Internet Explorer" since the day I started and Installed my adsl self install a year or so ago. It may well have been and i've not noticed untill today. I'm not unduly worried about it, and I can change it to anything I like via registry editing, but was curious, and I would like to know how it changed, because , as you said about the old aol, freeserve, etc set-ups, plusnet was not a cd install isp. Eg: to to keep it simple, my homepage is now "About Blank - Plusnet Internet Explorer" ( I always use blank as my home page"
N/A

Who Re-Named My IE6?

This is caused by downloading the auto-configuration file available in the connection settings.

It is known as branding, and does little other than change the name and configure the standard settings to work with plusNet.
N/A

Who Re-Named My IE6?

Thanks acarr. I have used the auto configeration file at some point ( can't remember when tho, and I have no idea what possesed me to click it as I'm not using dial-up! lol@me) ) So now I know where the "PlusNet" came from. ps, is it possible to undo my erroneous "click" as I'm almost sure (from changes to how things are working ) that some unnnessesary settings changes have installed.
Cheers
Alecto
Grafter

Who Re-Named My IE6?

You can easily unbrand it just by running this.
Save editing the registry.
Community Veteran

Who Re-Named My IE6?

If you know when you made the erroneous click and you are running XP then you can set your machine back to a time before you did it. by using the system restore utility.
N/A

OOPs branding

Hi,

AHA!! this makes sense, hadnt thought about PN using branding within IE6 thought PN didnt get up too such things any more. Oh! well atleast I know now, wont be chasing my own tail any more then on this one Shockedops:

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

Who Re-Named My IE6?

You can easily unbrand it just by running this.
Save editing the registry.
Thanks for that!
N/A

Who Re-Named My IE6?

Not sure what the fuss is really: It's just a change to the title bar of the window in effect so won't make any real difference (Then again I use firefox and only ever use IE for updates/outlook web access).