cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which web-building software?

N/A

Hello

I have recently decided to build a small website and was wondering which software would most suit a complete beginner.I have access to Frontpage 2003, Dreamweaver MX 2004 and Abobe GoLive CS but was thinking that these may be too advanced for the complete novice. Any suggestions?

Regards
Alan
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Frontpage has too many security holes and only works on web hosting companies that suppprt frontpage extensions. It may also limit your knowledge for standard web building as you will be stuck with whatever frontpage gives you access to. Dreamweaver is too advanced for novices as you need to understand HTML very well to use it. GoLive may be a good one to start with.

There are loads of free/shareware HTML editors around and it depends on your knowledge of HTML as to which ones will be suitable. Try searching www.download.com for 'HTML editor' (or click the link on the main page). Things like coffeecup may be a good one to start with - there is an earlier version which is free - and many of the commercial ones have a free trial so you can try a few and see which ones suit you for what you want to do. Look for the most popular (click on the download colum) and try them first - also look at the user reviews to get an insight of what others think.

Cheers

Peter Cool
glyndev
Grafter

Netscape includes a WYSIWYG ( What You See Is What You Get) editor called Composer. And allows easy previewing in netscape.

When I first started with websites 5 years ago I found it very easy to use. Haven't used it for a while though so don't know what it is like now.
csogilvie
Grafter

Composer's still there and is reasonable, although I would get the one from Mozilla as its at least still in Development.
N/A

I'm currently using Opera as my browser, though I still keep Internet Explorer on my system for the odd page which won't display correctly, if at all. A friend has just recommended some software called Netobjects Fusion 7.5 which I must admit to having never heard of. Any opinions?

Regards
Alan
Community Veteran

Again that is really commercial quality web design software and probably beyond your current capabilities so may be difficult to get to grips with.

What you need is some simple HTML editors to 'learn' HTML and web page design on before progressing to the commercial quality products you have mentioned previously (excluding frontpage). Getting a good grounding in HTML and page design will mean you have a better chance of using the commercial apps at a later date.

Try some of the free/shareware from the link I gave earlier. Start simple and build your knowledge up.

Cheers

Peter Cool
N/A

Thanks for the advice Peter. I think I will, as you suggest, start off with a simple html editor, especially as there appears to be an abundance of free ones to play around with. Again thanks for the advice.

Regards
Alan :lol: