cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which VOIP phone to get?

N/A

Which VOIP phone to get?

Wanting to try VOIP with the free Plustalk minutes to see if it worth using (save some money on my phone bill letting my kids ring their friends using the free minutes).

Not sure what equipment to get as the help pages suggest headphone / microphone combinations? Would surely seem best to get some sort of USB VOIP phone but the question is which one and what type?

New to this VOIP stuff so any pointers as to what is the best sort of VOIP equipment to get would be appreciated. (using a Netgear DG834G wireless router).

ThanksSmiley
5 REPLIES
fotobits
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Which VOIP phone to get?

One solution is by using an analogue telephone adapter....ATA.

The base unit controlling my four ordinary cordless house 'phones is connected to an ATA 1100 'phone adapter.

The adapter is connected to my Netgear DG814 via an RJ45 port and also to the BT landline socket.

The 'phones receive both SIP calls and landline calls and all calls out default to broadband calls. A landline call can be made by pressing a button on the adapter.

In the event of failure (power etc), outgoing calls default to the landline.

ATA 1100 is obtainable from ProVu Communications, Huddersfield http://www.provu.co.uk/provu_ata1100.html

For some adapters, PlusNet provide the settings on their web pages.

Regards.....Noel
epsiia
Dabbler

Which VOIP phone to get?

The neatest solution I have found is a Siemens C460IP phone.
It is a Dect phone with the ATA adapter so that it can receive and call both on landline and VOIP line. Am using www.voipcheap.com as voip provider and pleasantly surprised by call quality as well as cheapness.
I beleive the single handset phone retails at about £80 at the moment. It works perfectly with my Netgear DG834g.
Community Veteran

Which VOIP phone to get?

I've been looking at this http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopDetail.asp?ProductID=3508 I've seen plusnet settings for it so I'm assuming it should work, still trying to work out if any analogue phone will work and if it will work with my linksys wag354g router which is quite old.

Any1 tried this?
N/A

Which VOIP phone to get?

The neatest solution I have found is a Siemens C460IP phone.

I agree that this phone is very good. Working with both the DG834g and plusnet. Siemens has thought about nearly everything in this phone, although it could do with 2nd VOIP settings options.

I would not recommend the ATA1100. It had a tendency to lose connection and had to be restarted.
Community Veteran

Which VOIP phone to get?

Can some1 please clear this up for me I seem to be going round in circles at the minute Cheesy

I have a linksys wag354G wireless router, the intention is just to have a second line for my PN broadband phone that works even while my pc is switched off.

Am I right in assuming that my choice here is an ATA adaptor like the unlocked PAP2 or a DECT phone (Siemens C460IP) that has an ethernet connector to connect to my gateway?

I also found a Linksys SPA-1001 would this be ok?

What are the pros and cons on each set given that they would give the same result?

It seems that by the time I bought an adapter and even a cheapy anologue phone that I might as well have put £20 to and went with the dect.

All opinions appreciated.