cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Browser and why?

N/A

Which Browser and why?

Over the years I've seen a lot of opinions on different browsers, so I asume there is no clear leader.

I have always used Internet Explorer, however I have recently changed to Dialog for mail and news, which I prefer. Cheesy

So I though I would look at other browsers, and wondered what others here think, and why.

TIA

John T
17 REPLIES
N/A

Which Browser and why?

I personally use Opera, just since it's the first browser I liked after IE which had multi window support. However, it tends to crash a lot, especially with flash animations.

A lot of people seem to like Mozilla Firebird, which I might give a try sometime. In the end I guess it's up to personal preference.
N/A

Which Browser and why?

Opera is a decent alternative.

Tabbed browsing.
Built in popup stopper.

www.opera.com
N/A

Which Browser and why?

Although there are a few websites I'd like to allow popups one (where they're built into the design) so I disabled it and used Zonealarm's.
Community Veteran

Which Browser and why?

That's the same as saying which processor is best AMD or Intel Wink

Very much down to personal preference. I too used IE until about 18 months ago. I tried all the various browsers around at the time: Netscape, Mozilla, Opera and a few others that were based on IE or netscape - I can't remember them all. At the time each had it's good and bad points and problems with the sites I frequently visited (which I had no problems with IE), this mainly related to secure surfing etc.

I eventually chose Mozilla and have been using it since then. It has certainly improved in functionality in the past 2 or 3 releases and I no longer have the frequent browser crashes as I did with IE (and still do on occasions - there are still some web sites that only work with IE). I have been very happy with Mozilla, it does have it's qwerks which you get used to and the display of pages is slightly different to IE but you get used to that as well.

I also installed Suns Java runtine to replace Microsofts Virtual Machine (VM) Java engine which was required for Mozilla anyway. This too has it's qwerks but on the whole it is better and faster than IEs version.

So my recomendation is Mozilla 1.6. This being the latest version released last Thursday and working well, no problems found yet. Mozilla is actyally a suite of programs, as well as the browser it has chat, news and email clients built in but I only use the browser for now. There are separate beta versions of each of the clients availablebut I still tend to install the main Mozilla install when it is released. I may start using the mail system but it still has a few limitations and I still prefer Outlook Express including all it's security related issues which my virus, trojan and firewall software tend to get rid of.

Cheers

Peter Cool
csogilvie
Grafter

Which Browser and why?

I use Mozilla Firebird a browser only version of Mozilla. Although still a technology preview, it is progressing well and Version 0.7 seems to work fine for my usage.
N/A

Which Browser and why?

For windows I find Mozilla Firebird the best.
Tabbed browsing is a really useful feature.
Jim
Grafter

Which Browser and why?

Firebird here as well, its now my default browser
michaelscott
Grafter

Which Browser and why?

I use Mozilla (not Firebird)
N/A

Which Browser and why?

I use Firebird, it's awesome and I think it should be supported.

I won't go into why it's good, just go look for yourself I guess. I used to use Opera but FB sh*ts all over that piece of redundant junk!

FB is great and soooo flexable, it's kinda like building the browser yourself just to suit your needs. The icons are way too small at default settings though, so either choose to display them large or get a better skin. I'm using the Qute Phat Edition, which is the standard Qute scheme used by default but the icons are able to be displayed much larger. You won't find this skin though, it's not compatible with recent builds, but I have a modified version which is Smiley

Once you remove all the junk from the toolbars and installed the extensions, this browser is unbeatable.

N/A

Which Browser and why?

I'm a heavy opera user. i have to revert to IE sometimes when websites are not built well enough to be used by other browsers
N/A

Which Browser and why?

I use IE and Opera at home, mainly IE though.

Opera is used during design work as it means I can have 2 windows through which previews and what not and a whole host of docs.

I wouldn't use it as my primary browser though. I though IE was a meory hog, Opera is far worse.
Community Veteran

Which Browser and why?

I used to use Opera quite a lot when i was on dialup (2 and a half years ago) but found it was too buggy on certain websites that i always had to keep IE open as well so I ended up just scrapping opera.

Chris
N/A

Which Browser and why?

Mozilla Firebird is the only browser that I could
comfortably use after trying the IE6 alternatives.
It's the only one that actually was faster than IE6
and has more features such as the ability to customise, tab browsing, pop up blocking etc.
It's a bit annoying when some web sites don't function
correctly though, but there are'nt that many and I'm sure things
will improve once it's popularity increases. I also found that I couldn't
get it to work properly with Adobe reader 6 so I use 5.1.
However I recently discovered MyIE2.
This is basically IE6 with tab browsing, mouse gestures,
pop up / add blocking and customization built in.
So with a few registry changes to IE6 to improve speed,
MyIE2 becomes a browser on par with Firebird, I use both.
Alec
Community Veteran

Which Browser and why?

Off topic

I also found that I could'nt
get it to work properly with Adobe reader 6 so I use 5.1.

You need to upgrade the Acrobat reader to 6.0.1 which has a fix to work properly with Mozilla. I guess you were getting lockups and taking ages to close a pdf page, 6.0.1 fixes this.