cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where does data in a feedback form go to?

N/A

I have published a website to the FrontPage webspace and included in the website is a feedback form (built using FrontPage template that posts results back to a file at the FrontPage address. However if I try to view the contents of this file I get an error message 403 Forbidden saying I "don't have permission to access /_private/inforeq.txt on this server. How do I get access to this file?

Alternatively is there somewhere else that I should be addressing the submitted data in the feedback form to?
5 REPLIES
N/A

/_private/inforeq.txt

That file doesnt nessarly exist on the server, since that is an unusall path for unix/ linux based server, like +net use.

You would need to create those folder probably by ftp on the server, and then change the persmissions on that file so that the webserver can write to it.

However i would need to know a bit more about the front page code that is used to be of more help

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Mistake in quote tag sorted out for you.]
Community Veteran

Yes these should be setup on the frontpage server. You can not FTP onto the frontpage server to checkt hese manually, however you can use webfolders to check if they exist.

Chris
N/A

Sorry I don't think I've explained myself properly.
I have created a feedback form for my website using the MS FrontPage template. This automatically created a sub-folder in the website called "_Private" and an empty text file called "inforeq.txt". The fields in the feedback form then point to this text file.
I have published the website to the FP server (http://fp.username.plus.com) including the sub folder and text file.
When a visitor to the site completes the form details and submits it, the data is sent to the text file. This works OK. However, if I log on to fp.username.plus.com, and try to access the text file, I can see it and I can see the file size has increased, but if I try to open the file I get the message 403 Forbidden message. If I copy the file onto my PC, I can then open the file and read the contents.
What I need is a better way of setting up the file, so that I can read it directly without the need to copy it down to my own PC each time? It would be nice if the feedback form wrote directly to a database, but that might be beyond me!!?Huh
N/A

Yes these should be setup on the frontpage server. You can not FTP onto the frontpage server to checkt hese manually, however you can use webfolders to check if they exist.

Ack this just whet way over my head.

But as a ruf gues you might be able to set up a webfolder (what ever that is) and view the file through that rather than downloading it.

Or if you feel really adventous you could try writing another webpage to read the textfile back to you.

Secure that with a .htaccess (not sure if that will work on the frontpage server as i dont use it).

Your right a database would be a better solution, but i'm not convinced front page would play well with a mysql DB.
N/A

FP is designed (you mean it does have uses?) that way, so that you can't access the file via a web-browser. This is a security measure.

However, setting up a web-folder would work and allow you to view it.