cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What’s considered to be legal and illegal?

N/A

Hi everyone!
I’m very new to this forum and this is my first post… If it’s in the inappropriate thread, please move it somewhere else…

I’m trying to get my head around what’s considered to be legal and illegal download via http. A friend of mine has recommended a very good site (it’s a forum actually) where people share films, cartoons, etc. They upload it via http and store this material on a sites that are specific for storing things. Then they share the links of the files that they store with others on this forum and you can just click on them and the download will start .

Now then, that forum is polish and all material for share is polish. I have no idea about copyright laws and specifications about legality of things and, therefore, I can’t decide whether or not it is illegal to live in the UK and download polish films via http? Would I break a law by doing so, if yes, why? Where could I find a specific information about what’s considered to be a pirate downloads? What would I put in search for such law…?

Please, don’t judge me too fast as
1. English is not my first language
2. I am NOT downloading anything (-that’s why I’m here asking about it! )
3. I don’t know much about internet specifics as such…

Any information on this subject would be very useful and appreciated!

Thanks for your time
Smiley
5 REPLIES
N/A

Its hard to say but generally if the film is commercial ie made by a company for profit then it will be copyrighted and will display it at the start of the film normally.

If its a home made film like my son who makes skate board film then generally its not copyrighted. In law its is but he distributes it and allows people to watch it like shareware.

All you can do is down load it in the belief that its free and if it shows a message at the start then that will tell you you can often preview the films after you download the first bit so you dont need to get it all to find out
N/A

Thank you, Mwright, for your reply and advice. I'll keep it in mind while I'm trying to find more info on this subject...
N/A

Just being a bit picky you are correct mwright, all films, whoever creats them, are copyright. It all depends on the copyright holder if they can be copied and/or distributed. I used to take wedding photographs for payment. Even though I was paid, I still owned copyright, but the customer had reproduction rights.
So as I see it, it does not matter from where the distribution is, the question is, does the copyright holder allow distribution and/or copying? The ability of enforcing his/her rights is another matter.
N/A

The definition of illegal is a very sick bird(joke)
N/A

Birds are quite high on the agenda where I live, Norfolk. In fact we have 3 turkey sheds not 1/2 mile from where I live and yes they are B.M. oppps wandered off topic. The problem with illegal supply of software after copyright infringement is that when you try and find the supplier you often find they flue away the week before - yup pun intended.

Just a bright comment for the start of the day Cheesy