cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What hardware do I need?

N/A

What hardware do I need?

I want to try this VoIP on the cheap :-)

I already have a ADSL Wireless Firewall Router and a normal BT phone. I want to be able to connect my phone to some piece of hardware and then connection this to my router. I need some advice on what I need to get me going.

I would rather not use the software phone option because I would like to demo it to the wife via our current phone (Or an alternative phone).

Regards

Billy
10 REPLIES
N/A

What hardware do I need?

Sorry forgot to say that I want to try the SIP route rather than the Skype route.
powernumpty
Grafter

What hardware do I need?

You could use something like a Sipura 3000 or another "ATA"
It allows you to use standard phones as IP phones.

I'm sure there were other posts on this, search the forum and google
(http://www.voxilla.com has quite a few details)
N/A

What hardware do I need?

What is ATA? is it a Phone Adapter? If it is do i just need this to get up and running because they are a lot cheaper than a VoIP router. Could I just get a Phone Adpater and plus my phone into one end and my normal router into the other end then I can access the SIP config on the Phone adapter and I'm up and running?
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What hardware do I need?

What ever you do don't buy the ZYXEL 2002L on sale from PlusNet it's full off bugs and ZYXEL support is next to useless. There is a firmware update due, or so they say, but don't seem in any hurry to release it. 70 quids worth of junk in my opinion.
N/A

What hardware do I need?

Point noted ...

I have found out on another forum that 'yes' the phone adapter plugs into a normal router and the normal bt phone plugs into the phone adapter. You access the web interface of the phone adapter to configure your SIP info.

Another question :-) if I get an IP phone will this perform the same function. Can I just plug my IP phone into my normal router (or do I need a special VoIP router now) and then I access the web interface of the IP phone to configure my SIP info?
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

What hardware do I need?

Yes you can get a VOIP SIP phone to plug directly into your router, there are several available.
N/A

What hardware do I need?

Cool, so I just connect the IP phone to my router and then access the Phone's web interface and setup the SIP config?
How does a company that has hundreds of IP Phones do this then, surely they don't access them one at a time, do they? Is that maybe where the VoIP router comes into effect?
LiamM
Grafter

What hardware do I need?

Personally I prefer the ATA - Analog Phone option. Found them to be more reliable than VOIP IP phones in the past for some reason.

You can pickup an ATA on ebay for £35 these days.
N/A

What hardware do I need?

What about sound quality?
A normal phone will have to have it signal converted to a digital but I presume an IP Phone is already digital, maybe?
LiamM
Grafter

What hardware do I need?

Notice nothing wrong with sound quality at all. SIP - SIP calls are better than PSTN but thats due to the telephone line at the other end.