cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What charges are *really* involved?

N/A

I've just been transferred from an old product to Broadband Premier 1, which has a wodge of free PlusTalk minutes, presuming that I 'activate' PlusTalk.

I'm interested in putting my toe in the VOIP water, but not at the risk of signing up for more monthly money, and the hassle and possible cost of cancelling something I might not get on with. (Especially as there are posts here about phantom charges and poor quality)

Now the tariff pages go into lots of detail about prices per minute, which is fine for regular committed users monitoring their bills, but 3 things are skirted over which are much more important for potential new users:

a) Oblique reference to monthly subscriptions for different PlusTalk packages.
b) No explanation of how included free minutes fit into the scheme of things
c) No explanation of how 'activating PlusTalk' (for Broadband Premier), relates to signing up for PlusTalk products.

So. If I click the button, do I get 240 mins of a free phone service to try out, or do I get an extra separate bill for £x a month (chargeable to cancel), plus the cost of calls which either exceed 240 mins or don't qualify as free?
5 REPLIES
jagger
Grafter

Save on your phone bill with 240 minutes a month of anytime PlusTalk calls**

** Included minutes can only be used to call 01 & 02 UK landlines.

Broadband Premier comes with 240 minutes of PlusTalk broadband phone calls (sometimes called VoIP) to use at anytime each month*. International calls and calls to mobiles are also at cheap rates so you can make great savings on your phone bill.

From the Premier product guide.So you get 240 minutes "thrown in" to your monthly subscription.Stray to another number than 01, 02 ( like a mobile for instance) and you pay.
N/A

I saw those bits, but you've highlighted exactly the vagueness I'm talking about.

You say 'you get 240 minutes "thrown in" to your monthly subscription', but *what* monthly subscription? My broadband monthly subsription, or a PlusTalk monthly subscription which I may or may not have.

The website talks about monthly charges for PlusTalk, so:

a) am I a PlusTalk user because I am a Premier broadband customer, and I can be on the phone if I choose because I pay 21.99, simply by clicking the 'activate PlusTalk' button or

b) in order to access my 240 minutes, I have to sign up for a separately-billed PlusTalk product, so that I only get to use my 240 minutes if I pay £21.99 + £x?
N/A

It's option a)

I've got the Broadband Premier Option 1 @ £21.99 a month and on my "Account Details" page it has shown: "PlusTalk 240 £0 (monthly) Active" ever since I clicked on the activate PlusTalk button.

i.e. I'm not paying anything extra for the 240 PlusTalk minutes - they're included free as a feature of the Bb premier product.

That said, I have paid £5 into my PlusTalk account since activating it as calls to 01 and 02 numbers are the only ones you get free and for anything else (i.e mobile or international calls) it works on a pay as you go basis.

hope this helps
Richard
N/A

It absolutely does help, thank you. For me, it makes the difference between having a go, and maybe becoming a proper PlusTalk user and getting my friends and family on board too, or going 'Nah', and going along with them all just trying the 'Skype' they've all heard about.

And I don't mind paying extra for connection to mobiles. With Skype, you pay extra for anything which isn't a computer.

It makes me wonder though, who are these people are that pay a monthly subscription for PlusTalk, if all the new products come with it bundled.

So the lesson for PlusNet here is, when selling a new service - tell it straight!
N/A

I think that the monthly subs are for Plus.net customers who want more than the free minutes provided with their bb package. It's only the premier broadband customers who get 240 mins free. I think the PAYG and Plus broadband products get fewer free minutes or no free minutes at all.

Richard