cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Happens When You Log Off XP?

Community Veteran

I’ve got a PC running XP Home Edition with 4 user accounts set up. The PC is also running Norton Internet Security 2003 with PlusNet 2M Broadband.

When you log on to a user, Norton Internet Security is launched and runs in the background. When you log off, you are asked if you want to disconnect your Internet connection.

My question is this. If you leave the Internet connection active and return to the XP log on screen, is the Norton firewall still active?

Thanks in anticipation - Bob
8 REPLIES
lowry
Grafter

Sorry if I have mis-interpreted your question, but I thinl this is what you are asking...

When you log-on to Windows XP, Norton Internet Security will run and if you have auto-protect enabled (this is enabled by default) then it will monitor your system and check things in the background whilst you do what you are doing. I am not a Norton Internet Security user myself, but I assume that it is a Norton dialog box that comes up asking you if you wish to disconnect (probably will have a yellow background), and not a Windows Dial-up networking one (Windows colour scheme)?

If you decline the invitation to disconnect, Windows will disconnect and end the running connection tray process when you log-off. If you just "switch users" in XP, then I think the connection remains active.

I hope this helps,
matt Wink
N/A

while at the login screen, there is nothing a user can do to your box, only login. Even if you have a net connection active, your box will not really respond due to the fact that there is little running. However I am sure that NIS will run as a startup process and thus is on during login, not as a login processes where it is only on when the box is logged on
Community Veteran

Thanks for the replies. So if I interpret your answers correctly, there is no firewall active when at the XP log on screen but even with a live internet connection this doesn’t matter because the PC cannot be compromised in this state?

Bob
N/A

Yep, but i think the firewall still runs as a cut down service blocking such things as netbios and shares etc
N/A

I guess in part it depends on your firewall, for example many firewalls are actually started early in the startup process and block most connections during start-up . The idea being to prevent trojans etc. from gaining access to the internet while security software is starting.

Buz was right though, during this time many of the services within Windows won't have started, but by the time they have, Norton will already be up and running.
N/A

course I was right, I are t3h 1337 Smiley

and gadget you n00b add me to msn!
N/A

Suppose a windows box is left not logged in, are shares still available to the outside world or not?
Presumably (unless things have changed drastically in Windows XP) they are. Now, if the software firewall starts up after a user logs in then before the user logs in we have no firewall. But then, there's probably no internet connection at this point either. So doesn't matter too much.
N/A

Yes, shares are still available before a user account is logged in. Norton runs as a service, so the firewall will still be active before a user account is logged in. If your internet connection is via ethernet, then this will also be active before a user account is logged in.