Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websites picking up my email address/identity

Alecto
Grafter

Hello

Having just stealthed my SAR130 router, I ran www.grc.com's Shields Up.
They picked up my identity - effectively my email address without the @ on the front - from my computer (or router, not sure which,) and made a big song and dance about how any website I went on to could do the same thing and presumably shower me with spam or worse.

Is this a consequence of broadband, or does anyone know anything I can do to protect my identity?

I don't have a network, just the one computer, and understand little of the technicalities of routers etc.

I don't intentionally go to websites where them getting my address would bother me, but using Google a lot, one never knows.

Geoff Pattison
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran

What the shields up site is showing is your reverse DNS lookup, which by default is set to yourusername.plus.com by PlusNet.

You can change what this gives to your IP address or a few other combinations and thus will hide your identity. You do this via the contact us ticket system.

Click on the contact us link on the left, then select new query, then select the following:
• Technical Support (Except Connection Problems - See below)
• Static IPs, IP Block Requests and Reverse DNS Setup

Read what the page says then

• Change my Reverse DNS (PTR) configuration

Then in the box, select what you want your reverse DNS changed to from the selections given.
Alecto
Grafter

Thanks Peter, I've done that
GP