cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website not working

N/A

Website not working

I've just got my broadband working and have tried to upload a page to my webspace. The page was made in Frontpage and is called index.htm so hopefully all right so far.
Having tried to load it using the microsoft web publishing wizard I can't see anything when I go to www.myusername.plus.net. I've used this without probs with my previous isp.
I've also tried accessing my webspace using ftp://ftp.plus.net/ without success. It doesn't go anywhere.....
Any advise would be gratefully appreciated.

Thanks

BarryL
9 REPLIES
N/A

Website not working

Hi Barry,

Welcome to the forums.

Firstly, your web site url is username.plus.com.

Secondly, if your page is created in FP would it not be easier uploading it using FP.

When you log into your ftp space are you prompted for a unername and password.

Is your firewall blocking FP or FTP access?
N/A

Website not working

Thanks for coming back.
I cant see anything but a default page when I use the username.plus.com url.

I have had a look at publishing in fp but the publish command in the file menu has always been greyed out so I gave up.

When I log onto my ftp space I am NOT asked for my username and password. And the page comes up 'website can not be displayed'.

I'm using zonealarm and can't find anything that indicates its blocking the uploads. I've had no probs with this using my previous isp with the same setup.

Cheers

Barry
N/A

Website not working

Depending on the version of FP you are using are you saving the page before trying to publish and have you setup your connection details in FP?

You could also try ftp2.plus.net. I have tried both tonight with no errors.

If you wanted to try briefly with your firewall lowered it might rule that out one way or the other.
N/A

Website not working

Having tried to load the page using the microsoft web publishing wizard it comes back and tells me that its been published succesfully. Tried ftp2.plus.net but thats the same......
I've just had another play with fp and can find how you set up your connection details but i'll keep playing......

Cheers

Barry
N/A

Website not working

Your site is working ok you have uploaded the page correctly and you can see it here

http://www.lorweb.plus.com/index.htm

The problem is Plus net have a default page called index.html and that is picked up first before index.htm. SO you can do one of two things go onto the ftp and delete index.html or change your page name to index.html and upload it again so it over rights the plus net one
N/A

Website not working

Or add a .htaccess which changes the index file preferences (if allow override indexes is configured... don't know if it is as I use .html for my static pages)
N/A

Website not working

Good man mwright,

Now i'm beginning to understand and i'm sort of kicking myself for not having tried something like that in the first place....but.....any ideas why I can't access the webspace and see the htdocs file.

I've typed ftp.plus.net into the address bar of my webpage and just get 'The page cannot be displayed' aam I doing something basic wrong. I've played around with these things before quiet a lot and never had this sort of trouble. Perhaps i'm just having a senior moment (week,month,year,life).

Thanks in anticipation

BarryL
N/A

Website not working

What FTP are you using? Try putting 212.159.9.131 as the address and see if that works as sometimes ftp clients dont do a dns lookup very well.

If you are using and old ftp it may not work but any new ftp client should work if you run Firefox you can get a nice free addon or if you want free ones look here

http://www.thefreecountry.com/webmaster/freeftpclients.shtml
N/A

Website not working

lorweb im having the same problem, +net are yet to provide me with any help on the situation.
I would appreciate it if you could update on whether yours is working yet. Cheesy