cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Website construction

marchhare
Dabbler

Website construction

I am in the process of creating a website for my business. Having cut-and-pasted text from a Word document on to the webpages, I found that various aspects of format have disappeared, e.g. Bold, underlines for headings, simple tables, etc.. Nor can I create these differences when typing fresh text striaght on to the webpage.
Am I missing something obvious? I am a novice at this and would appreciate help!

Christine Baker
9 REPLIES
N/A

Website construction

Hi Christine,

Where to start.

I would suggest having a look at the Webspace Tutorials from the User Tools Site.

As well as some handy guides there is also a link to the Plus Net Web site builder, which whilst limited, is a great place for the novice to start.

Have a browse and if you have any further questions post back.
Community Veteran

Website construction

You have to learn HTML

Web pages are created using HyperText Markup Language. Web pages can't be created the same as as a word document, you have to tell the web browser using HTML tags how you want the text to be formatted on the screen and whether it should be displayed as bold, underline, in colour etc.

Do a google for HTML.

My suggestion is to go to your local book store and find a beginners guide on creating web pages or search the internet for the many on-line tutorials that exist on it.
JonathanW
Grafter

Website construction

Hi,

A good place to start online is w3schools.com As this has a fairly good introduction to HTML, along with various other resources that would help with learning the basics of putting together a page.
arlehaven
Grafter

Website construction

Smiley Hi Christine,
What software are you using or intending to use to create your site.
Frontpage is a good place to start. Might seem a bit complicated at first but it isn't really.
When you put text on your page, an image or what ever you want you can go into code view and see how it is transformed into HTML. You will be amazed at the amount of code required to do a small task.

Yes books and tutorials are a great place to start but if you read too much you might get totally baffled.

If you are using Frontpage let me know and i'll point you in a few directions as to where to start. In frontpage when you know the basics you can edit text as easily as you would in word.

Welcome to web design, we all had to start somewhere.
holdtight
Grafter

Website construction

Hi Christine
I would suggest instead of starting out trying to learn HTML to build your website you start with a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) program and get to know the web pages how they work and how it all fits together including the code involved and the rest will follow as it can take some time to master HTML which you will easily if you start slowly

There are many WYSIWYG web design programs just do a google search and some are free which is even better and i would recommend starting with something like Namo which is good as a start or even MS publisher if you have office installed

You can still study books on HTML as you go along and see the code and what it does on your web pages as you design them you will soon pick it up
N/A

Website construction

Its not the best way but an easy way is to create it in word and then save it as a html file.

It does put a lot of extra code and its not the best tool for the job but if you know word it makes it easy
marchhare
Dabbler

thanks

Thankyou for all your suggestions.
I think the problem lay with the plusnet webbuilder: it did not allow various aspects of text formatting, whether imported from Word or created in situ.
This will be a fairly simple website and I don't think I need to hone my HTML skills. From what you have said I need a WYSIWYG program. I will try the Word HTML facility and Publisher. If these fail then maybe I should try Namo or Frontpage?
N/A

Website construction

HTML-kit is brill, found here
Community Veteran

Website construction

Does your copy of Microsoft office include “Frontpage”?
This is Microsoft’s web editor. This will give you a Word like GUI but without the bloated code that Word produces.

Also the publish web wizard does make it easy to upload your creations, once configured, it’s a couple of clicks and enter your password.

Chilly