cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web page help please

N/A

Web page help please

Please bear with me as I am new to all this.
I have uploaded a couple of pages to my web site to see if it will work O.K..
The problem is that when I try to view the page:-www.ceilidhband.plus.com
I get redirected to a plusnet page saying that nothing is on this site. When I try www.ceilidhband.plus.com/index.html -- then up comes the page. I have checked by going to the site with Cute ftp andthe pages are there. What have I done wrong? and how can I get the home page to show without having to type in the /index.html bit.
Cheers---John
15 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Web page help please

Hmm.. that should not happen. By default the web server should look for a page called index.html or index.htm in your htdocs directory so using your URL with or without the index.html should bring up the same page. Try copying the file as index.htm and see if it finds it with just your domain name.
N/A

Web page help please

Changed the index file to htm but it made no difference. Still will not show unless /index.htm is added.
Community Veteran

Web page help please

I would raise a contact us ticket and see what support say. I'm sure it should pick it up by default so something is not happening so your web config may be faulty in some way.
N/A

Web page help please

Caching is still in effect. I think you have to wait three days for your new page to appear, when the old version gets cleared from the cache.
zpeterk
Grafter

Web page help please

it works now
N/A

PlusNet Home Page

Well I'm glad it works for you, cos it certainly ain't working for me!

I've FTP'd my colleague's site to his Free Webspace on PlusNet and all I get is the PlusNet Holding Page. I have even deleted the PlusNet file (index.html) from the server! It seems that I can only access the site by including the filename after the URL.

Raising a Ticket on this resulted in the Techies at PlusNet stating...

"Due to the problems experienced with the storage cluster upgrade, we have not yet had the opportunity to fully address the cache facility, therefore, the webcache on the homepages server is still running. We are going to investigate the best course of action with regards to this later this week."

I'm none the wiser! Does this mean that they have a major problem with their server for Users Homepages?

Also when sending amended pages to my own website, I am normally having to wait until the following day before the new page is readable!

Is this problem likely to continue? Or is it better to go elsewhere?
Community Veteran

Web page help please

The problem is the web cache does not detect when page changes are made or new pages uploaded to your website immediately. You sometimes have to wait 72 hours before the cache is refreshed with the correct or new pages.

This 72 hour wait has now been reduced to 30 minutes (see service status reports). This means if a webpage has been cached for longer than 30 minutes, the next request for that page will be from the homepages server and not the cache meaning it will pick up any new or changed pages.

The web cache is a temporary solution to help with the overload on the disk sub-systems. The disk upgrade done on Sunday/monday was meant to give extra bandwidth to the disk sub-system meaning the cache can be removed. We are still waiting for info on this activity occuring.
crusty
Grafter

Web page help please

Hi I am having problems with this. Surely I can't be the only one who tests web pages out on different PC's?

There was a facility at http://cgi.support.plus.com/cache_reset/ to clear the cache but it has now been replaced by the text:
Having performed further extensive testing, this tool is now being withdrawn from service.

Attempts have been made to utilise external resources to perform a reset, along with the existing local tools, each is prooving only to work in the locality of the reset.

As such, this tool does work, but not to the grand scale required to make it operate to the requirments for which it was designed.

There are methods that could be used, however, with less than 7 days left of operation for the caching system, design time would only be wasted.

As noted on the tool, there is some HTML code that can be used to prevent caching in the first place. This will only operate on pages as they first enter the cache, but not on existing cached documents, until the cache times out. These details can be found here.

Does this mean all will be back to normal in less than 7 days. I certainly hope so as plusnet is becoming unusable.
csogilvie
Grafter

Web page help please

You can read information about this in a post by the Operations Directo at http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14307
N/A

Web page help please

I have updated that took now. That message had originaly been posted whilst the storage updates where still on track.

I have been made aware of the full picture myself from this annoucment.
N/A

Web page help please

I still do not understand what is happening. (*** plus.com)does not work whilst (***plus.com/index.html)does.
Also when I look at the "my website" bit ,it says I have 100% free space and 0% used, but I have downloaded several pages and they are there.
Is this part of the problems Plusnet have been having or have I just overlooked something simple?
Cheers
John
csogilvie
Grafter

Web page help please

I believe the script that generates the size stats is offfline or only runs when you change something (like add a new file)
N/A

Homepage Probs

PlusNet informed me to clear the cache as the sight was loading. This is done by pressing Control and F5 whilst the page is loading. I tried this and all was OK.

Additionally, another colleague of mine was having immense probs with slow loads, etc and it now looks as if PlusNet have solved this.

:x These things always happen when your either testing new pages or want to get some altered quickly, making you think that it is YOU that is doing something wrong!
N/A

Web page help please

I have`nt a clue as to why, but it is all working brilliantly now.
My modem/router arrives today, so be prepared for another barrage of queries as I struggle to connect to ADSL
Thanks for all your help and advice.