cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web cam access through messenger

N/A

I used to be able to acces web cams through msn messenger but since switching to plus net this no longer works, is this a proxy problem?
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Shouldn't be I can use webcams fine via both Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger.

What is your setup ie Operating system router or modem type etc.?Huh
N/A

Using Windows 2000 and messenger 6
N/A

But what about your connection method, i.e. modem or router?

If your connecting via a router, you may need to add a port forwarding rule in order to view webcam, since the traffic won't have originated from your PC and maybe blocked.

Aaron
N/A

Good point, We access over the network and through a netpilot firewall but we had that before. The web cam access has only stopped since going to plusnet.
N/A

I understand what you saying, but I'm not sure how switching to PN would make any difference. PN don't block the ports used by MSN for viewing a web cam.

I can only think, that something has changed on your setup somewhere, and more likely your firewall is blocking the webcam port by default. You need to check whether you the required ports are correctly forwarded within your firewall.

Aaron
Community Veteran

As a starter try disabling the firewall to see if it makes any difference.
As said earlier my setup works fine with no special setttings etc so I can't see that moving to PlusNet can affect it.

May also be worth uninstalling messenger and downloading the latest version which is 6.2 now.