cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web Cam Access through a Router

N/A

Hello All, apologies for the long message, but I want to get the detail down.

I have finally managed to get my web cam set up on my pc (It is actually a Panasonic GS50 video camera which has a web cam mode). My home network has a Netgear DG834G ADSL Firewall Router set up and three PC's running from that.

I have been using MSN messenger to get it set up. I set up two MSN accounts, one on each PC and asked for a web cam communication. This did not work, or it almost did but the picture was half black and the rest was lines. I then tried a video conference and it worked perfectly, sound and picture.

I was then ready to try it over the Internet with my mates pc. He uses blueyonder with a straight modem to PC connection. I was able to communicate and become "MSN mates" I was also able to request and accept a video conference. However when it was accepted, no picture or sound came through at his end. It was just a black screen.

I have tried opening up all firewall rules but this made no difference. Can anyone offer any advice how I may be able to get this to work? Or is there another way I can go about it. (Apart from driving round there and chatting in person!!)

Thanks in advance
2 REPLIES
N/A

There is a known issue with the DG834 and MSN. A firmware upgrade is expected shortly to overcome this.
In the meantime, try the latest firmware (1.03.00) from the Netgear site
http://kbserver.netgear.com/support_details.asp?dnldID=562
OR
you can download the latest firmware from my site, which also includes the "fix" programme should the firmware update go wrong.
www.cqg4uzg.plus.com/dg/DG834RecoveryUtility.zip
N/A

Thanks very much for this information.

Unfortunately I am already running 1.0.3. However by the looks of that website they are saying that the fault is still being looked at, therefore version 1.0.3 will not fix it. Am I correct by that?

Do you know of any other way this could be done perhaps by not using MSN?