cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning about 'Sky By Broadband'

N/A

I recently thought I'd give 'Sky By Broadband' a try seeing as it's free...

Then this week I get a email from plusnet saying my usage is too high (16gb this month!)

Nowhere in the FAQ's or info does it say anything other than it's a download service however if you check deep in the terms and conditions..

7. Uploading Content

If you download and save content to your computer system (a "File"), during the license period for the relevant File, we may upload parcels of content from the File from your computer system for the purpose of transferring Files to other users of the Service.

Its a peer to peer network! now that's sneaky. Be warned.
9 REPLIES
N/A

That's an issue that's also been noted on other forums, such as Digital Spy.

As a Broadband Plus customer, I've removed the Sky by Broadband software from my pc, after recognizing how it worked, and having decided that it wasn't sustainable on the Plusnet package that I'm signed to. The sports content of "Sky by Broadband", which is all I was entitled to, is of limited added value to my Sky package at present, and I decided wasn't worth an upgrade to my internet package at this point.
sinewave
Grafter

Yeah, Sky are being pretty sneaky about this. By using a P2P technique for distribution of their product they don't have to pay for the bandwidth costs. In the end its the ISPs and end users that have to manage and pay for the distribution. We all can see that bandwidth is a limited resource - shown by the FUPs and SUPs etc introduced recently. Sky is certainly taking a stance of "not my problem". I'm sure many users (not just PN users) are going to get stung by this.

Sky are perhaps the first with this idea but they wont be the last! There's many rocky roads ahead of us in the broadband world!

be aware!
aeroalfie
Grafter

“If you're a Sky digital customer, you can get the following Sky by broadband services at no extra cost:”

Sky Movies, if you subscribe to Sky Movies
1 & 2
Sky Sports, if you subscribe to Sky Sports
1 & 2

If you have already subscribed to these channels with your sky package why would you want to d/l them when you could just record them? I presume the movie files etc are compressed making them a lesser quality as well.
N/A

I gave it a go and found that my uploads were equal to, if not more than my downloads. Another downside is that whatever you have is available for other people to upload from you whenevre your machine is on. Look for kservices and khost in your services list, they start at boot up.
N/A

There's about 200 movies on there (old and new) so it looks like a good deal.. But if it's going to get my broadband restricted then I dont think I want to know!
aeroalfie
Grafter

Im guessing you could use it during plusnets off peak time when you have more bandwidth available
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Can't remember where I read it but I think that the Sky software loads at boot and uploads data whenever you have an internet connection.
If this is the case you would need to use your firewall to control the activity.
Edit - here is a bit more info
Files are distributed via Peer-to-Peer (P2P) technology provided by Kontiki. The Kontiki software runs beneath the Sky interface as a service in Windows XP ("Kserve"). It loads at boot and acts as a peer when your PC is idle.
from this link
N/A

Look for kservices and khost in your services list, they start at boot up.

I took the advice of a a technically-savvy member of Digital Spy, that kservices and khost don't uninstall when you uninstall the Sky software. This proved to be the case and I had to go in to safe mode to remove them ( my un-technical mind understands that because they start at boot up in normal mode, they won't remove in normal mode, because they're "in use").

There's no reason why the average user would or should have to know this, in my view. I was only able to sort this, because another user had the decency to post instructions on an internet forum.
Community Veteran

Hi Guys,

Ive moved this to a more suitable forum, where it will also not fall of the end of the page so quickly.

Chris