cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to build website Help Please

N/A

I use the internet a great deal Ebay ect and now I want to learn to build a web site. I have noticed there are programmes that use what you see is what you get, but they seem to be a poor way to build a good quality site. I at the moment do not know HTML but am willing to learn it. I need a good but understandable software package (I am no expert) but I can take my time in learning. Should I buy Microsoft Frontpage or go the whole way and buy Dreamweaver MX 2004.( Are they sutiable for a novice who will study them) or are they too complicated to start with? I have looked at Net Objects Fusion 8 and other more simple programmes but I want a good site and will spend the time if I can start to understand how to do it.
Any help would be much appreciated,
Thank you,
Michael

Moderator's note by Chris (fa55dsl): Removed bold tags from the title, these do not work. Caps text in title also removed.
6 REPLIES
LiamM
Grafter

Dreamweaver MX in my opinion is absolutely superb. It is widely used by professional website design agencies, but also by the learning home user.

You can create the simplist of sites with it, or then go for high-content profesionally designed sites like my www.rockreview.co.uk - All (apart from some manual ASP coding) built in Dreamweaver.

Dreamweaver does take a little bit of studying, playing and tinkering to use effectively, but thats all you need to do. Play with it and you'll pick it up. Read up on some online tutorials, read the help section, ask for things in forums.

I have been using Dreamweaver since I was 12 believe it or not and I picked it up fairly quickly.

I would, first, download a Trial Version from the Macromedia Website. That way you can have a look around the software and get to grips with it. Get a feel for it.

But I would recommend Dreamweaver over Frontpage anyday.
N/A

Thank you very much Martin for your kind help, I will give it a go!!
channel
Grafter

As a first crack at these things I would suggest using whatever the new name is for Netscape Communicator; I think it forms part of the Mozilla package? Dreamweaver is indeed truly excellent, but a bit over the top for a first attempt at html. Just get a free, basic HTML editor and have a play with that. At the very least it will help you on the Dreamweaver learning curve if you decide to go for it in the longer term.
N/A

Thanks channel I will try and find it.
channel
Grafter

Actually, looking at the Netscape site, the bit of Netscape Communicator I was talking about was Netscape Composer; it's part of the main download. When you run the browser, just click on the pen and paper icon and Composer will launch.

When I first tried html I played around with it a bit (it's just like using Word, to be honest) but then you can switch to look at the code that lies behind your webpage, and that was a good way to learn.
N/A

Thank you for taking the trouble to have a look for me. I really do appreciate it.