cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VoIP

N/A

VoIP

Hi
Just read in magazine about VoIP phones - sounds interesting - anybody any info / advice/ experience of this they can share and perhaps some prices.
thanks a lot
Roy
4 REPLIES
N/A

VoIP

yes VoIP is start to play a major issues:taking over the trad modulation.
by using IP packet instead.

think you need H/W support..(e.g a router that can support)?
if you want it for ur own VoIP to the other side of the client also need to have VoIP H/W
i think saw some info on:
computershopper.co.uk

if i found more will sure post it.
N/A

VoIP

Hi
thanks for your reply, My Router is a Netgear DG834gb wireless - the bit I read said some companies (I think inc BT) were offering VoIP system which can call people with conventional phones.
thanks
Roy
N/A

VoIP

Personally we use Skype http://ui.skype.com/home.html which is a free application for VoIP. We have used it extensively and even works very well with a 56K modem! You can even have conference calls with up to 5 people! All you need is a headset and you're away!!
N/A

VoIP

Skype is an excelent model of the VoIP abilities available today, however, Skype is proprietory (meaning, Skype will only work with Skype), mainly due to the way it operates.

True VoIP is a service which will operate with other services, without question to who makes or runs the service. True VoIP should not need the client server model, but run on true Peer-to-Peer.

The Skype system works on a core Peer-2-Peer model, where all traffic is sent using a non-predetermined path. This provides very quick re-routing and connection heeling, but provides unpredictability.

It also needs a central server or distributed hub through which authentication and call setup takes place.

The H.323 signaling standard has been around since 1996 and was broadened in 1998.

Its goal was to set a standard to setup and use video, audio and other interactive services between two points. This is the main standard on which VoIP is founded today.

Provided your VoIP device is H.323 complient, you will likely find you can comunicate with any other H.323 device. This can be anything from a VoIP router, VoIP phone, MS Messenger and countless other VoIP software products.

On top of the H.323 standard, you have codecs. These in in essance drivers. These bits of code, be it running via software on a PC, or in the embeded device (router or phone) convert a digital signal into audiable analogue sound.

There are loads of different codecs, and wach one differs in the quality of the sound it produces. Its goal is to get the data it has to transfer as small as possible, without having to sacrafice sound to much. The smaller it is, the more quality is lost.

So you would use a codec with greater compression on a dial-up line, so the jitters are reduced. You can use less compression on broadband. The H.323 standard is designed to negotiate the lowest quality loss codec available between the two parties.

So each end may have a set list of codecs. A dialup user may have two high compression ones, and the other side (EG, a broadband connection) has loads others. The standard will pick one both parties have available.

In theory, a high speed connection can mean that the signal quality is greater than that of a convenstional phone.

H.323 doesn't need any central server. The H.323 device should be self contained (software or hardware), and be able to accept and send calls to other complient devices.

However, there is support for two types of central server, which are not always needed. These are known as Gatekeepers and Gateways.

A gateway is much like a PBAX. It controls the flow of calls between multiple devices. The best example would be that you have 10 VoIP capabile systems in your property, but your connection will only support 4 calls at any one time. The Gateway will restrict it, and make sure only 4 lines are in use.

A gatekeeper is like a automated Switchboard for a PBAX. It acts as a automated electronic yellow pages. Because VoIP insn't resticted to dialing numbers, it does things like convert "FRED" and route a call accordingly.

VoIP in the UK is more of an emerging technology. There are few home providers at the moment. Two off the top of my head are the following.

1: Solwise - Provide cheap outgoing calls, but no incoming.

They also provide some great VoIP hardware. This includes VoIP phones and Gateways.

http://www.solwise.co.uk/

A gateway will allow a conventinal phone to have VoIP abilities.

2: BT Broadband Voice - Provides outgoing and incoming calls (05 number)

http://www.bt.com/broadbandvoice