cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Viruses

N/A

Viruses

The Plus.net system is sending me messages that indicate that virus carrying emails have been refused delivery. They refer to a virus known as W32/Netsky-D. I have had several of these now. Just out of interest what can this virus do to my system. Thanks for Blocking it anyway Plus.net.

Regs Chris Cool
5 REPLIES
csogilvie
Grafter

Viruses

Information about the virus can be found here if you are interested Smiley

[Moderators note (by Thomas): Display text added to link.]
Community Veteran

Viruses

Also worth noting that there is a removal tool lower down the page on the symantec site mentioned by Colin Wink

Note. I have also moved this topic to the security section
N/A

Viruses

Thanks guys, didn't understand most of it on the systemic link. My McAfee detected and deleted the 'C' version of this virus, after I had opened the attached zip file (yes I know) so hopefully I'm clean now, well McAfee is no longer saying that I'm infected, so I must be clean HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??/ :shock:
barryg
Dabbler

Viruses

I am also getting heaps of NDR's (Non Delivery reports) as a result of the netsky virus, however, I started getting these messages (which I read on another PC whilst at work) while my PC was being FDISKED and rebuilt! So there was no way that my PC had got the virus! I have checked it since rebuilding it and the system is clear. Both the Symantec tool says so as does the latest update of McAfee which I have installed. Are the messages a result of someone else sending these messages as if they have come from me or what? I haven't even got MS Outlook 2003 re-installed yet so all my mail activity is being done on the net so far.

I hope some one can shed some light on this,

Cheers

Adrian
N/A

Viruses

The mass mailing trojans we currently see, use fake/random from addresses that they are able to extract from infected systems.

This means that your e-mail address is located within a file within the infected system. This may have been somebody you sent a message to, another person where a friend has sent a mass mailshot including your address or the most favourate, spam e-mails where you are included in the mass-mailshot.

The problem is, as your e-mail address has been randomly selected as the from address, any NDR's are returned to you.