cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus?

N/A

Virus?

Hi yesturday i got a virus attack the virus was called w32. blaster worm. My computer killed it becuase i have norton anti virus. But it keep happening amd suggestions were it could be coming from. Also i get a message some times saying save your work windows is shuting down in 1 mins time? Can some one explain to me what that is.

Thanks ps i am thick with computers
32 REPLIES
N/A

Virus?

N/A

w32.blasterworm

Hi

I am a support technician for a well known computer manufacturer, today we were inundated with grief stricken callers because of the worm.

:!: It only infects compters based on Windows NT (Windows NT, Windows 2000 & Windows XP)

It does indeed cause your PC to reboot after 1 or 2 minutes, this can be temporarily stopped however (to make a backup of your work)

:!: This is only a temporary measure to allow you to back up your important files & Documents Etc.

1. Start>>>run
2. Type services.msc
3. Click OK
4. Scroll down to Remote Procedure Call (NOT RPC Locator)
5. Double Click this
6. Click on the Recovery Tab
7. Select the 'Take no action' response in each of the 3 boxes
8. Click on the OK button

At the time writing the only way to rid yourself of this worm completely is to re-install windows completely and then to install a firewall (such as ZoneAlarm, Norton Personal Firewall Etc.)
The worm uses 1 of 3 ports to find it's way onto your PC (Port Nos 135, 139, 445) these ports need to be closed.

Regards
Wabbid Wabbit
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Virus?

Hi,

We too have had a large number of our customers who have been affected by this virus.

You can download the patch to protect your operating system from Microsoft at this site

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-026.asp

For anyone already infected, instructions and a tool to remove the virus are available at

http://www.f-secure.com/v-descs/msblast.shtml

Once removed install the patch above to ensure you aren't reinfected.
N/A

Virus?

Not Affected Software:

Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition

ah i knew ME was good for something!

lol

marc
N/A

Virus?

Thanks for all that information and i have just downloaded the patch. What does it do to the computer just wipes its memory ?

Any way thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Virus?

seeing the number of probes still comming from alot of different PN Users[hundreds not Tens ] this morning, shouldn't there be a PN wide email about this?
Unvalued customer since 2001 funding cheap internet for others / DSL/Fibre house move 24 month regrade from 8th May 2017
N/A

Virus?

A quick lowdown on the problems it causes.

1: Causes the system to reboot, this is a internal windows feature, triggers by crashing a integral part of the system, in this case, the RPC deamon.

2: The payload will set itself up to start at runtime.

3: It will scan masses of subnets and try to further propergate itself.

4: On August 16th (reports of 15th too, though I can't find this yet) it will attempt to attack the "Windows Update" server.
N/A

Virus?

everywhere that i've read about it say that it will start the DoS attack "on the 16th" or "after the 15th" so it seems to just be different news sites paraphrasing the same data and confusing people.

I think I read on another thread round here that it will continue the DoS attack for a year, however all the news sites i've read say it will continue until the end of the year.

and about those probes: didn't PN block the ports it uses?
N/A

Virus?

The informational announcment they made yesterday stated two ports are now blocked at the network boundry.

However, there is a recomendation to block a further 3 (or 4, see the f-secure page) ports, and keep a watch on a further 2.
N/A

Virus?

Do you think they'll ever open these ports?
N/A

Virus?

I suspect so, once the threat has been downgraded again.

However, I think it would be wise to wait at least two month after XP SP2 is released, which may be some time away.
N/A

Virus?

Oh well, nothing useful uses those ports anyway.
N/A

Virus?

Lovsan/msblast

This worm totally paralyzed my PC yesterday.I thought it was a hardware fault at first and spent several fruitless hours checking for overheating/bad connections etc.

My AV software found it(after an update-this thing is brand new) but couldn't delete it,I had to do it manually with regedit(something that always makes me nervous).
If you don't get it and don't have a very good firewall,you are totally vulnerable.

I strongly advise everyone to download the appropriate patch from microsoft.
N/A

Virus?

I have an urgent question. I have XP Home Edition and went to the Microsoft site to download the patch to find both a 32 bit and a 64 bit version of it. It seems obvious that Home must be 32 but I cant find any documentary proof. Can somebody verify that I should download the 32 version please. Sorry to be naive but I am out of touch with things. (Is Professional 64?).