cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virus Problem replying

N/A

Virus Problem replying

Hello avonholm,

OK I am not running the same anti virus program as you (I run Norton Anti Virus on my main workstation and AntiVir on my laptop) but what I can tell you is that the files you have placed in the chest (quarentined) x3 of the files look like Java script files and I would guess they would be damaging if run (BUT ONLY IF RUN!!) and the remaining file called Win:32 Kuang 2 looks like its designed to install itself into your windows system or system32 folder, which suggests that its designed to run some background or hidden windows service, again this would only be a problem if this file was run and run from the correct location i.e. inside windows itself.

**I would suggest that you try deleting all the files you placed within the chest or if your anti virus program allows you to safely delete them from the chest then yes! do this ASAP.

**Once you have deleted all the files from the chest, next run your anti virus program once again and this time your machine should be clean.

**If you dont have anti spyware or anti Adware then I also would suggest that you download a copy of Ad_Aware SE which is free for person use, from Lavasoft's website (URL) http://www.lavasoft.com This is a very good program and I use it frequently, it has an update feature too, so you can keep the signature files updated.

**Another highly rated program for the same thing is Spybot Search & Destroy and a quick search on google will give you the URL for downloading this.

**Sadly having ZoneAlarm installed as you've seen WONT protect you from nasties, like viruses, dailers, malicious scripts. But there are several things you can do inorder to reduce such items getting into your machine. The most immediate one is change your browsers security settings, such as ActiveX controls, plugins & how scripts are handled. The second approach involves locking down windows but this should only be done bye someone who knows exactly how to do this as its abit complicated to explain.

Hope this helps?

Best Regards Ivan

---------------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier Service
15 REPLIES
N/A

Help with viruses needed!

I ran an avast! anti-virus tonight and found a total of 5 viruses. I deleted one and the other four I have moved to the chest. They are the following:

Win: 32 Kuang 2 *******DELETED*********

JS-Class Loader-7 ******IN CHEST******

JS-Class Loader-7 ******IN CHEST******

JS-No Cheat-2 ******IN CHEST********

Win:32 Kuang 2 *******IN CHEST*****

Could someone please help me with this? And tell me if these viruses could have caused any damage?

P.S

I have zone-alarm installed
N/A

Thanks!
N/A

Replying,Ivan

Hi Again,

Your Most welcome!!

if you need any further help just let me know or drop me PM Cool

Best Regards Ivan
N/A

Just a reminder if you find that you still have a virus after all the checks, turn off your windows system restore, run a adaware program or download windows beta spyware program. Reboot into windows safe mode and rerun your antivirus software.

Here is Symantic online Virus & Security check.
When running this online check and you find that nothing seems to come up when you go to run scan, this could mean that you have antipopup enabled, all you have to do is say allow this popup depending on what type of antipopup you are using.
Symantec Security & Virus Check

How to:
Protect your PC from viruses

Today, a worm or virus can arrive on anyone's machine through e-mail or an infected Web page. Before you lose a day's work to the latest malicious virus, follow these precautions.

Before you start, you'll need to gather these elements:

Antivirus software
Required attention span: 5 minutes per day
Follow these six steps...

Step 1

Update your Windows. Many viruses and worms take advantage of flaws in software, such as your operating system. Microsoft makes it easy to update its software in Windows XP, but if you've turned off the automatic update feature, or if you're still running an earlier version of Windows, then you'll need to go to windows update from time to time to see if you're software needs patching.
Windows Update

Step 2

Don't open attachments. One way to prevent virus infections is to not open attachments. Even if you receive e-mail from a friend or someone you know, be careful. A virus may take the mailing list from an infected computer and send out new messages with a destructive payload attached; your friend may not even know that he or she is spreading a virus. Always use your antivirus software to scan an attached file for viruses before you open it. If you're not expecting an attachment, just delete it.

Step 3

Stay informed. Did you know that there are virus and security alerts almost every day? Keep up-to-date on breaking viruses and solutions by checking Virus Alert Topic Centers. Virus Info

Step 4

Get protected. If you don't already have antivirus software installed on your machine, acquire some now. If you're a home or individual user, check out CNET's reviews of the top antivirus packages, then grab the latest software at CNET Download.com. (Currently, CNET's Editors' Choice antivirus software is Trend Micro's PC-cillin Internet Security 2004.) If you're on a network, check with your network administrator first.

Step 5

Scan your system regularly. If you're loading antivirus software for the first time, it's a good idea to let it scan your entire system. It's better to start with your PC clean and free of virus problems. Often, the antivirus program can be set to scan each time the computer is rebooted or on a periodic schedule. Some apps scan in the background while you are connected to the Internet. Make it a regular habit to scan for viruses.

Step 6

Update your antivirus software. Now that you have virus protection software installed, make sure it's up-to-date. Some antivirus protection programs have a feature that will automatically link to the Internet and add new virus detection code whenever the software vendor discovers a new threat.

Thanks to Cnet
for info & Links

Cnet
N/A

Viruses & AV Programs,Ivan

Hi,

And Yes"" DO BE AWARE that anti virus programs WONT protect you from viruses, espcially the latests or newest ones. The job of anti virus software is to detect the presence of a virus or infection, & then to tell you what infection you actually have, then hopefully tell you or suggest methods for its safe removal.

**Please note that the main difficulty of anti virus software is that makers like symantec or computer associates etc encounter a LAG time between a new viruses being discovered in the wild & the writing of new updates for their software, so that the programs can then detect the new virus. This always means there is a short window of high vulnerability when a users computer can become infected with a new virus but the anti virus software WONT detect it as the software hasnt yet been updated to find it. Thus users can still fall foul of the virus writters unfortunately. This is why all experienced computer people will tell you to update your anti virus program a frequently as possible, for example once a week would be desirable. All computer users are faced with trying to keep one step ahead of the virus writers, its just one of those ongoing problems like spam etc.

Kind Regards
Ivan

--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
N/A

I think that I have got rid of the problem but occasionally when surfing the internet my firewall blocks Generic Host process 32 from accessing the IP address of my router. Do you have any idea why it would do this?
lowry
Grafter

Ivan makes a good point there. Infact, in my opinion the better the anti-virus software, the more often it will update itself to recognise new threats. I use AVG Anti-Virus and it is updated daily and free to use - brilliant software in my opinion.

It also includes heuristic scanning which enables the program to detect suspicious bahviour (such as many e-mails going out with the same content/title, etc.) which can be useful for undiscovered threats. Of course, there is always room for error with heuristic scanning.

matt Wink
N/A

Could you possibly help me with the above problem?

Cheers!
N/A

Generic host process 32

Hello avonholm,

Not entirely sure why generic host process 32 wants internet access but this happend on my own machine so I've allowed it web access through my firewall and I havent encountered any serious problems with this.

Here below is a description about generic host process 32:-

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Process name: Host Process for Services
Product: Windows
Company: Microsoft
File: svchost.exe

"Svchost.exe" (Generic Host Process for Win32 Services) is an integral part of Windows OS. It cannot be stopped or restarted manually. It manages 32-bit DLLs and other services. At startup, Svchost.exe checks the services portion of the registry to construct a list of services that it needs to load. In normal conditions multiple instances of Svchost.exe run at the same time. Each Svchost.exe session can contain a grouping of services, so that separate services can be run depending on how and where Svchost.exe is started. This allows for better control and debugging.

Note: The svchost.exe file is located in the c:\windows\System32 folder.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ivan

F9 FOL Forum Moderator
N/A

Hi avonholm,

From the run command type cmd and enter. At the command prompt type Tasklist /SVC and enter.

this will display a list of active services for the svchost service.

You may see things such as windows auto update and windows time update and windows help service.

This service should not cause you any concern.
bobgidden
Grafter

Or, it is very easy to monitor processes with the free ProcessExplorer

Regards,
BobG
N/A

hijackthis is another helpful program. it will detect all running processes and various registry alterations within internet explorer. it can take time to get to understand it, but you could copy and paste your findings onto this or more hijackthis-orientated forums and we could tell you some, if not all, of the things to delete
N/A

Process Explorer Ivan

Hello,

I definately agree with BobG ProcessExplorer is an extremely useful program and its also freeware. I downloaded a copy & found it excellent, yes! recommend it.

Ivan
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
bobgidden
Grafter

Hi, Ivan!

Are you aware they have a new version out (9.11), which does even more useful things?

Also, I really like their Autoruns.exe - it is the best I know for really searching out obscure registry keys which run stuff ;-)

Regards,
BobG