cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Virtual Machine

jabb0
Grafter

Virtual Machine

I know that Microsoft stopped shipping thier Java Virtual Machine (JVM) after MSIE4.
Which meant that you would have to use Sum Microsystems JVM, unless of course you were resourceful enough to get your hands on the old Microsoft one.

The thing is I dont really like the Sun JVM, for no other reason than it shows up in my taskbar and in my control panel, wants to be updated and configured. Where-as the Microsoft JVM just runs with MSIE and thats it.
Like the only thing i need this for is to run applets in web pages (or is itHuh)

1) What exactly is the difference in the Java Virtual Machines?
2) Are there any others?
3) What do you use?
4) Which one do you think I should use?
13 REPLIES
N/A

Virtual Machine

I use one from Sun.
it seems to just sit in my control panel and do nothing much at all.
Admittedly every three months or so it seems to want an update, but all I ever have to do is hit the OK button.
Probably less effort to do that, than to find another?
craigbrass
Grafter

Virtual Machine

1) MS one is a liteweight version of Sun's.
2) There are no others.
3) I use Sun's.
4) Use Sun's cos it has hardly any security holes, Microsoft's has loads.
jabb0
Grafter

Virtual Machine

Fair enough points noted.
Sun it is then.
Funny how many times the words "Microsoft" and "security holes" appear in the same sentence.

Cheers
craigbrass
Grafter

Virtual Machine

Maybe their slogan should be "For software with 1,000,000 security holes". lol
N/A

Virtual Machine

2) There are no others.

not true - kaffe
N/A

Virtual Machine

not true - kaffe

Unless I'm very much mistaken, Kaffe is for Linux and BSD. I can't see any mention of the Redmond OS on the Kaffe site.

jabb0 mentions the magic words "MSIE4", " taskbar" and "Control Panel" - I reckon therefore jabb0 is using Windows. There are several Java Virtual Machines for Linux, but not so many now for Windows.

jabb0, you know you can lose the Sun Java icon in the System Tray (the recessed bit at the right-hand side of the taskbar) when it's not actually being used, by going to Control Panel, Java Plug-in Control, and unticking the "show Java in System Tray" option? Otherwise configuring it is not so bad. Try installing Sun Java in Linux sometime! I've done it!
N/A

Virtual Machine

http://www.kaffe.org/ports.shtml

There are a lot of ports to all kinds of OS's
Community Veteran

Virtual Machine

But not windows as ske1fr probably meant (windows CE does not count and cgywin runs ontop of Windows and gives you a unix like environment).
N/A

Virtual Machine

N/A

Virtual Machine

btw, just so all the "lets bash MS" groupies here know, there were MORE exploits out for linux based apps / OS's than there were for MS apps / OS's last year, ALSO and a VERY important point, THE linux ones where MORE devisating, eg root via apache // memory flaws to get root etc etc, these effect MOST of the servers on the web due to running LAMP (linux,apache,mysql,perl) where as the MS ones only really effect home users who no one cares about cos if they are too stupid to get exploited its their bad! Companies are more effected by the Linux based Sploits than the windows ones, but the home users make a racket cos they get are gettin virii etc when its not really MS's fault and even the "critical" exploits allow you to run code.. wooopie! i can nick my neighbours CC details .. or.. "oh look we can root apache" -- ownd 80% of the MAIN webservers on the net etc... wonder which is worse.. a home user gettin hacked or a biz getting hacked mmmm mmmm mmmm... oh and yes the linux bugs are "patched quicked" but...the admin still has to install them which may never happen. Most if not all MS XP os's have liveupdate installed and on automatic so users dont have to do anything to get patched.
N/A

Virtual Machine

point 1 - you make the mistake of thinking Linux is the only OS other than windows
point 2 - windows is insecure by design, Linux and other OSs are often insecure by implementation - major difference
point 3 - i can shutdown unrequired services on a *nix box without the whole thing coming down
point 4 - it takes seconds for a windows box to be owned, the average unfirewalled *nix box generally takes weeks and weeks in my experience - I was running an ancient version of apache for a year 24/7 without any problems, i plugged in a win2k box and it got owned within 2 minutes
point 5 - the number of exploits available for a platform in total describes how insecure the applications for it are AND the os, not just the base OS. Windows out of the box is horribly broken, so are many applications running on top of Linux.
N/A

Virtual Machine

but the home users make a racket cos they get are gettin virii etc when its not really MS's fault

who do you think made it possible for these viruses to exist with all the security holes in windows?
N/A

Virtual Machine

IBM produces a JVM I believe, don't know if they still produce the product or not