Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video calls using VOIP

shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Video calls using VOIP

I do not know whether the Plusnet VOIP supports video calls yet. Can anyone tell me ?

If not, I have a SKYPE account which of course does support video calls.

I have family in Canada who would very much like to use a video link to keep in touch. However, the question is how much data is downloaded in a typical video call ? Are we talking "nothing very much" or are we talking "DVD" sizes ?

I am not so much concerned myself because my Plusnet account account gives me more download allowance than I need, but I understand that my family in Canada are on much more restricted packages and if they go over their limit, the charges for anything extra are exhorbitant.

I imagine that VOIP, even with video, does not consume too much and that download allowances are not likely to be affected much, but I may be entirely wrong. Can anyone enlighten me as to the real position ? Is there any rule-of-thumb ?

Many thanks.
6 REPLIES
N/A

Video calls using VOIP

I would say that it's not insignificant but this is dependent on which package you on. More of a problem with PAYG accounts.

Normal Voip voice calls use 60-80MB per hour. Video is dependent on what the provider will allow. My last company used video conferencing alot and their system use to use 6 telephone lines which if I remember is 112Kb per pair giving a total speed of 336Kb. So for adsl the limiting factor will be you upstream speed of 288Kb per second if you have not be upgraded to MaxDSL. Giving maximum transfer of 36KB per second. Taking up and downstream into account the hourly tranfer cound be around 260MB.
pacem
Grafter

Video calls using VOIP

A standard G.711 audio call will use 80MB per hour. (Yes I know someone said this already; just clarifying the G.711 bit.)
If you both use GSM or G729 audio codec this will be about 27MB per hour, and if both your phones do silence suppression you should get down to about 16MB per hour.

Some phones allow you to adjust how much bandwidth video uses so you can choose badwidth over quality (they may also allow you to adjust the frame rate). IIRC default video for internet telephony uses about the same as the G.711 audio call so around 80MB per hour, but if you've tweeked all your audio settings 100MB per hour total shouldn't be too costly.

Paul.<><
shermans
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Video calls using VOIP

Thanks guys. That is all a great help.
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Video calls using VOIP

I wonder if anyone can update this. I can use video with Skype OK but not with the new X-Lite 3.0.

Apparently this uses codec H263 or H263 1998. Does PlusNet support this and is suppoort for these codecs necesssary for video to work?
stswithins
Dabbler

Video calls using VOIP

I seem to recall reading that PN doesn't support video with its VOIP product. Can't find the reference but it might be worth searching this forum or the support / help pages before spending too much time on getting it to work.

Roger
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Video calls using VOIP

An update....

I get video to work fine with FreeWorldDialup and X-Lite 3.0. I believe the VoIP supplier must suppoprt codec H263 for video to work. My other VoIP supplier, Voipfone, support video on their old proxy (voipfone.co.uk) but not on their new proxy (sip.voipfone.co.uk)

I'm now going to try the new Windows Live Messenger that should also be fine for PC-to-PC video calls.