Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very slow webpage access

BestPump
Grafter

Very slow webpage access

Hi All,

I have been working on my father's business website and after uploading, I must say that the time it takes for the pages to load is very, very slow. The pages are very small and have little or no images, yet there are delays when loading the front page and moving from page to page. I have tried accessing from home and work on super fast connections but the pages are still slow.

Please try for yourself and let me know how the pages perform:

http://www.bestpump.co.uk/ or http://www.bestpump.plus.com - both are too slow for business use.

Is this the best I can hope for? If so, I will be looking elsewhere for hosting.

Thanks for any feedback.

Jeff Best
34 REPLIES
N/A

Very slow webpage access

Im pretty sure its not plus net servers, what program/html editer did you write it in because sometimes they add excess code which is only used in the program and not on the web?

Tim
BestPump
Grafter

Very slow webpage access

My pages are pure HTML - as an experienced web designer, I use Windows Notepad. ;-)

There is no bloated code on the pages - I am certain it's the server performance.

Jeff.
N/A

Very slow webpage access

Dogegy vey dogery :? My website seems to run fine on the plus net servers, well ok the forum does havent finished the website yet the address is
http://cgi.assimulator.plus.com/forum check it out and notice the speeds fine, if it isnt the plus net servers it has to be that your web site is so popular so many people are looking at it at the same time? no thats not it
BestPump
Grafter

Very slow webpage access

Yep, yours runs great - instantaneous loading.

I doubt my site has lots of traffic at this stage! Could it be a configuration issue somewhere on the server?

Jeff.
michaelscott
Grafter

Very slow webpage access

it must be the server. you may not be aware that +net are having trouble with the web server lately (although i thought this was only on the CGI platform). Anyway, the page is 10Kb in size and should download almost instantly. It doesn't. It trundles along.
N/A

Very slow webpage access

Your site does apear to launch very slow. However, perfmoing tests are varying locations around the net gave variying results.

You don't have any code in the page that would cause the caching server to ignore your file. It would also apear that some of the files on my own space are reacting slow.

I do that some efforts are being made to try and get an immediate method of resetting cache was to be attempted, if or not this is aprt of it I don't know.

My sugestions would be to stick it out until next tuesday, when the new disk cluster should be in operation and any rebuilds complete.
N/A

Very slow webpage access

I've seen a similar thing with my site, particularly at busy times.

For all the supposed benefits of the caching, the combination of cached and uncached files (html, css, js, gif, htaccess, etc) at any point in time seems to me a recipe for inconsistency. I would say that's usually more annoying to users than consistent but slow.

With the homepages server (hopefully) back to full speed the inconsistency should be sorted. But I have been concerned that the criteria for the cache's "success" may have been a bit narrow.
N/A

Very slow webpage access

I suspect the issue is a DNS one. I tried loading it at work and it took ten mins with errors saying cant resolve the name. Loading it at home is quick as I am using +net. Try loading it by ip and see if that is quicker. Ping the site and it will give you the ip
BestPump
Grafter

Very slow webpage access

The IP address comes up as 212.159.9.131. When I try to access this in a browser, it gives me HTTP 404 - File not found error.

The site is still far too slow - what can I do to resolve this?

Thanks for all the help so far and any further!

Jeff.
Community Veteran

Very slow webpage access

Wait until the maintenance work detailed in the service status announcement is complete and the web cache is removed. If it is still slow after that PlusNet can investigate further.

Until that time slow website access is usually down to the load on the servers / disk sub-systems and the maintenance is aimed to improve this.

You cannot access your website vi an IP address because that points to the main PlusNet homeages server and will not resolve to a specific website.

I did a trace for your .co.uk and it took 14 seconds between the page request and the page being returned. It is also being returned by the PlusNet cache so it would appear the delay (at least this time) fwas the cache returning the info rather than the main plusnet server hosting your website. Once that initial delay was out of the way the page refreshed in about 5 seconds.
BestPump
Grafter

Very slow webpage access

Just to show that this is not a problem specifically linked to www.bestpump.co.uk...

I also have another Plus account and the web site I have there is also very slow: http://www.minioffice.co.uk/

I just threw up a test page to see how it performs.

Jeff.
Community Veteran

Very slow webpage access

It does not appear to be a DNS lookup problem (for me anyway) and the DNS reply was immediate.

Took 9 seconds from initial page request to the page being served. This time it did not come from the cache (reported as a cache miss).
N/A

Very slow webpage access

Both loaded pretty quickly after an initial DNS lookup delay (I gather .50 is a little flakey at the moment)
N/A

Very slow webpage access

Bestpump, can you do me a favour. I want to get into webdesign and am only just starting to learn it. What advice can you give me that will help me. Also, could you look at my site and let me know what you think. Ive only just started learning about 3 weeks ago.