cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN between dial up and plusnet ADSL

N/A

Does anyone know if i can use my existing home dial up ISP to connect to my business network which has plusnet ADSL. The dial up isn't through pluset. :?:
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran

If you are using VPN software then there should be no issues. If this is something other company employees are already doing you should be fine - i.e. the company side of the communication has already been setup..
N/A

Thanks for the speedy reply! The company is my own small business with 5 machines on the network and the Binatone ethernet router. Can you recommend any VPN software?
Community Veteran

I can't as I don't use it but I'm sure others will.

You may need to setup some form of port forwarding on the router to gain access to your company server(s) from remote locations. i.e. to allow in the ports that the VPN software uses.
N/A

Can you recommend any VPN software?

Must admit limited "hands on" experience of VPN software. Being nosey, what would VPN offer that you cannot do with VNC (remote control of a PC) and perhaps FTP server software (eg WarFTP) to run on some machine at your office if you wish to up/download ?

With VNC running on machines at your office, you could connect to them individually (so long as you could route port 5901, 5902, etc to individual machines) to see what is on screen (and run any applications they have) and it acts like you are there. Only time you may have a problem is if a reboot takes place as the remote PC needs some login details to be entered.

I have set up VNC and firewall rules to only permit access from particular remote IP addresses, so although VNC itself has limited security (password may be plain text between two points) the p/w alone isn't enough to gain access... The IP for your dial-up would need to have a fixed IP of course, for something similar to work. http://www.tightvnc.org/ may be worth a look.
csogilvie
Grafter

VPN makes it look as if you are physically on the network. For example, I can connect to Uni through a VPN and access IP-restricted network resources etc. as well as other servers that don't have FTP etc.
N/A

access IP-restricted network resources

Thanks Colin. Since the OP hasn't set it up yet and may have no similar requirements/restrictions, and it will perhaps cost something upwards of 100 to 200 pounds, I felt VNC was worth mentioning, and many other facilities (FTP, mail server, etc) are available cheaply too.
Community Veteran

I'd agree with Colin,
VPN is useful for using windows shares, exchange server mail, accessing printers and its also secure in comparison to vnc or ftp.

Chris
N/A

.....so can anyone tell me how to actually set up VPN? Is the VPN software built in to 2000 Server or can you suggest where I might go hunting for third party software?