Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VPN Connection BB+

N/A

VPN Connection BB+

Hello,
How do I connect to PlusNet via VPN?
Or how do I tunnel my PlusNet connection via VPN?
10 REPLIES
N/A

VPN Connection BB+

Hi Stephen,

I have moved this to a more appropriate forum.

Back to your issue. What VPN client are you using. There is nothing Plus Net specific about configuring a VPN. It should work if configured correctly.

Bear in mind that if a static IP is required, your product uses dynamic IP's
N/A

VPN Connection BB+

I have been told I can tunnel my BB+ connection via Encrypted VPN!
I would like help setting this up please Smiley
crimsone
Grafter

VPN Connection BB+

He is referencing my post with regards to ellacoya and encrypted vpn....

http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35866

I think you know what that means.

I've been sent PM's on the subject, and told him that I'm not going to help him break his terms of service. I shan't break the rules by posting hius PM, but I shall post the content of my own reply below....

Then what you mean is how to AVOID throttling using encrypted VPN, and I'm sorry, but I'm not going to risk my own good name and intenet connection by assisting somebody else to break the terms and conditions of their service. I'm not sure that I'd help anyone in this respect on Premier, let alone Broadband Plus, as much as I dislike the throttling for sustainable users on p2p.

Beside's which, I wasn't advising on how to get around it - I was suggesting that in it's current form of use, people would be more inclined to find ways around it, thus making it useless.

I strongly suggest that anybody else takes the same stance, and that it might be a good idea to lock this thread (this is a USER saying this, NOT a mod)
N/A

VPN Connection BB+

Is it against the terms and conditions.
Is using BB+ tunneled via Encrypted VPN against the rules?
I have seen nothing about it in the T&C
N/A

VPN Connection BB+

The utilisation or discussion of this type of activity in a vain attempt to fool the shaping policies, with a view to having a detrimental effect on the PN network will be actively discouraged on the boards.

If this needs to be discussed, then please do it elsewhere.

Cheers.
N/A

VPN Connection BB+

Is it against PlusNet T&C
crimsone
Grafter

VPN Connection BB+

Yes. It is.

You agree that a breach of any of the provisions in this clause, and indeed any clause within the Acceptable Use Policy, will comprise a material breach of contract, which may lead to suspension of the Service or ending the Agreement, in accordance with clause 20. You agree to indemnify and hold harmless PlusNet against any expense, loss or damages that we might suffer by reason of any breach by you of this clause.

14.2 If we think that your use of the Service may:

14.2.1 impair the security of the system and/or the network used to provide the Service; or

14.2.2 cause detrimental performance of the Service to you or any other Customer;

we may suspend your access to the Service or parts of the Service in accordance with clause 20. If possible, we will give you prior notice if we do suspend your service pursuant to this clause.

14.3 Where we provide you with Services that involve providing storage space (temporary or otherwise), or transfer capabilities on our systems, we may impose limits (which we may vary from time to time) on the storage space, or transfer capability we provide to you in order to ensure the quality of the Service to you and any other Customer. We may suspend, reject or delete material that exceeds these limits. Information on these limits can be viewed in the FAQ ('frequently asked questions') section relating to the Service and available here. If possible, we will give you prior notice before taking action.

and that's only a quick glance at ONE of the applicable documents.

Now might be a good time to drop it. If you wish to discuss this, as requested by a moderator, please do it elsewhere (and not with me! - I'm not helping!)
N/A

VPN Connection BB+

But your doing it. You said you had an encrypted VPN connection! :?
N/A

VPN Connection BB+

Lets end it here guys. Please. Smiley
crimsone
Grafter

VPN Connection BB+

No i didn't.

I don't have an encrypted VPN through which my p2p is tunnelled, largely because I respect the contracts I sign and try to live with them (I did agree to them after all).

Secondly, if I had started to avoid the ellacoya switches in my use of P2P protocols, I certainly wouldn't be telling every user of the network about it and how I was doing it.

My post was thus.....

Indeed, but surely tunneling via an encrypted VPN would do the trick? VPN is in the silver queue if I recall(?), and no matter how deep the packet inspection is, you can't read what you can't understand.

There are ways around anything - it's just a question of willingness/morality as to wether or not you try to find and use one.

Now, I'm not acctually recommending anybody does this, but lets for arguments sake ask the following question - how long until a version of Bittorrent or another p2p application is written to work on this very basis?

as you can see, I dind't say I was using an encrypted VPN to tunnel my connection outside of PN's network, and I'm sure PN can confirm that I'm not using any VPN at all right now if it were that important that the should need to, and haven't been since I started my contract. As such, there's no way on this earth I could be using an encrypted vpn for p2p traffic.

Please be sure of your facts before throwing accusations around.

Sorry PCSNI - we both posted at the same time Smiley I'll be more than happy to leave it there, and I don't really want to talk on the subject . I just felt that I needed to answer the accusation. I shall reply no more.