cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP Phone problem

thehatman
Grafter

VOIP Phone problem

My X-Lite VOIP PlusTalk phone can log on but when I dial a number it says "trying" and after a while "Fail 403 Forbidden".

This happens even when I call my own home landline number to test.

Has anyone any ideas? I can't get through to "Customer Support".

Sad

Moderators note by John (johnessex) Topic moved to the VOIP forum.
10 REPLIES
N/A

VOIP Phone problem

I'm experiencing the same. Can't be bother raising a ticket as this is not the only service that PN offer that is so flakey that it need a ticket to be raised every second day to keep them on line.
N/A

VOIP Phone problem

PlusNet are apparently aware of the problem, but don't seem in much of a hurry to update the service status. I don't know why, but all I know is that it's very disappointing - both PlusTalk itself due to the problems that there are with it, and the lack of support/update on the Service Status about the problem(s).
N/A

VOIP Phone problem

OH, i had that last night!

I thought it was just me not taking much notice to it as i was only ringing a number to keep my 0845 number 'attached'.
N/A

VOIP Phone problem

Can this thread be displayed to all who sign up for PlusTalk?

It might save a lot of people the trouble of signing up and thus reduce the pressure on the poor staff who have to cope with the existing 3 users! Wink

I don't know why anyone would want to use this service when you can get any VoIP service working. You don't need special phones and you don't need Skype.

I use a standard BT DECT (wireless) phone which is the same model as the ones I have on my land lines. This means I can switch to using my VoIP provider anytime and I do not need the PC switched on (as with Skype).

The VoIP service provider I use now has voice mail for when I am not around and you can get an 0845, a local regional number and a number in the US.
thehatman
Grafter

VOIP Phone problem

ibc01 -

Could you explain how you do that. What VOIP service do you use and how does it work without the PC on?

Smiley Thanks.

My impression was that nearly all the VOIP services say "you can call other users free" but that there are just too many different services at the moment so that you end up only knowing a few people on whichever one you choose and it is not really worth bothering with until all the services become linked.
N/A

VOIP Phone problem

The first thing you need is a decent ETHERNET router, so if you are using a USB effort, lose it.

I use a Draytek router but you could use any ADSL Ethernet Router that has RH-11 ports on the back. Or your existing Ethernet router (see below).

Draytel do a range of these, some with wireless, some for cable connection (NTL/Telewest). I keep my wireless as a seperate entity as the wireless technologies are changing all the time (e.g. Pre-N).

So I use a Draytek 2800N you could get a 2800VG which has wireless built in. The Draytek has two RJ-11 phone ports with converters to a female BT Socket. This is really clever as you can use two different VoIP providers.

The other really good reason for buying a Draytek is that they can initiate VPN's (up to 16). Most cheap routers can join an existing VPN but can't create one. They also support both types of VPN, LAN to LAN and Remote workstations.

You can setup people on other VoIP networks by creating an entry in the router for their number. So if you program their number into the phonebook in the router as no 41 you can dial it from your DECT phone by dialing #41. This is the number in the phone book of the DECT phone.

Draytel is a UK VoIP company that is associated with Draytek, they offer a fairly reasonable tariff. My benchmark country is 42p with Onetel (dialing 1878 from my landline) and 67p on DrayTel. That is not bad as some charge 96p.

One thing I should warn you, their website is AWFUL, I really think it is the worst commercial site I have ever seen. Also their confirmation emails tend to get gobbled up by SPAM filters so copy your account details when you setup.

If you want to try them but have a different ethernet router you can buy cheap device they sell called a Vigortalk. This only has one socket but it works well enough.

For the phones I use BT Synergy which I get from FleeBay.

I hope this helps, checkout their site.

http://www.draytel.org/
thehatman
Grafter

VOIP Phone problem

That's very helpful. Thank you for all the detail.

Smiley
Nick_Russell
Grafter

VOIP Phone problem

My impression was that nearly all the VOIP services say "you can call other users free" but that there are just too many different services at the moment so that you end up only knowing a few people on whichever one you choose and it is not really worth bothering with until all the services become linked.

You can call ANY real SIP VoIP number for free. (So not Skype). To call a contact on the same provider you just "dial" the number eg 1213456. To call another provider you have to enter the domain as well eg "123456@voipprovider.co.uk"
N/A

VOIP Phone problem

Rather than enter the domain (not so easy with VOIP handsets) you can use the provider prefix code in front of the SIP number. See http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30008 for details of this.
N/A

VOIP Phone problem

Rather than enter the domain (not so easy with VOIP handsets) you can use the provider prefix code in front of the SIP number. See http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30008 for details of this.

Thanks for the list, very useful to know all those prefixes.

For me (and the Mrs) it is much easier to put an entry in the phone book of the router (if you have one), so number 41 for example for is for John Smith. Then in the Dect Phone you add an entry for John Smith with the number #41.

This is useful as some Dect phones limit the number of digits in a phone number. It is also useful becaue if the phone number changes you just update the router rather than every handset in your house.

We are still some way off with VoIP with the likes of Talk Talk offering free calls for the whole of Europe and other countries it seems easier to use their infrastructure rather than invest in our own.