cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VOIP Adapters Nightmare

N/A

VOIP Adapters Nightmare

Having just had a very nasty experience with a Linksys PAP2 ATA I was wondering what everybody else is using.

Considering that I'm using a Netgear DG834G router is there any adapters you would recommend. I've seen several people using Grandstream devices and these appeal to me because they have PSTN pass through.

In your experience are they easy to setup? I'm perfectly willing to dive into the settings as long as the damn thing responds. The PAP2 just was not interested.
6 REPLIES
N/A

VOIP Adapters Nightmare

They're not the hardest things to set-up and as you already have a bit of experience with the Linksys you should know what settings you need to change / are looking for already..I have the Grandstream 486 and it works no problem for me...only criticism is that sometimes you cannot access the browser interface via the WAN port at times as it denies you access for some reason, no matter what I try. This isn't a problem though as everything is working fine so no need to change it - if I do need to change any config I can always bring it upstairs and connect to the LAN port on it which always works OK. Any problems give us a shout.

PS It doesn't really matter what router you are using as long as you forward the ports or set the ATA in the DMZ zone it should work just fine with any make/model. The grandstream device can usually work around NAT using uPNP no matter which router.
N/A

VOIP Adapters Nightmare

What problem are you having with the PAP2? I've got one, and had tons of hassle setting it up, and the main problem seems to be down to the fact that PN don't have a STUN server (and that there's two sets of details that can work, but PN's sip service seems picky and unlike most others that I've tried...)

So if you can give more details about what's not working with your PAP2 setup, maybe we can help. Is it not registering with the sip server, not able to receive calls, or what?
N/A

VOIP Adapters Nightmare

What problem are you having with the PAP2? I've got one, and had tons of hassle setting it up, and the main problem seems to be down to the fact that PN don't have a STUN server (and that there's two sets of details that can work, but PN's sip service seems picky and unlike most others that I've tried...)

So if you can give more details about what's not working with your PAP2 setup, maybe we can help. Is it not registering with the sip server, not able to receive calls, or what?

I followed the setup guide provided by Plusnet and when that did not work I though that setting a stun server would help. I used dns.xten.net and stun.xten.net as suggested on Plusnet's technical FAQ page. Still nothing.

The problem was fairly fundamental because it was not registering with the server. I tried everything I could think of - even resorting to using Linksys live technical help! After staying up until 2am for a couple of nights I gave up and have now returned the PAP2.
N/A

VOIP Adapters Nightmare

Any problems give us a shout.

Thank you. As I plan on ordering one today I may well take up the offer.
N/A

VOIP Adapters Nightmare

I followed the setup guide provided by Plusnet and when that did not work I though that setting a stun server would help. I used dns.xten.net and stun.xten.net as suggested on Plusnet's technical FAQ page. Still nothing.

Simple answer is that they don't work. Please please please raise a ticket with PlusNet begging them to launch a STUN server, because until they do you've got to rely on third party ones from other providers - relying on the xten one isn't too bad (if it worked of course) but on other services seems a bad idea because what if they "disappear" or go out of business?

Anyway, other than raising a ticket (the more tickets they have from customers about the lack of STUN, and saying the xten ones don't work with a PAP2, the better) here's what you need to enter:

In the web admin of your PAP2 click on "admin login" and then click on "advanced view". Now click on "SIP". Scroll down to the bottom of the page and enter the following:

STUN Server: stun.voipuser.org

(I've also got the drop down box above it "STUN enable" as "yes".)

That STUN server does work with both PlusTalk and a PAP2. Quite why the Xten doesn't work with PlusTalk/PAP2 combination, where as other SIP services do, I'm not sure. But it works though.

For the rest of your settings, in the "Line 1" page, you need:

Proxy: username.plus.com
Use Outbound Proxy: yes
Outbound Proxy: sip.plus.net
Use OB Proxy In Dialog: no

Display Name: Your Name
User ID: plustalk
Password: Whatever your password is
Use Auth ID: no
Auth ID: plustalk

Scroll down, click Save Settings button, let it reboot, and you should be connected (assuming you've set up the port forwarding if required, as detailed on the PlusTalk support pages)

Please (anyone with a PAP2 that is having this problem) let me know if that works for you or not. If it does, maybe PlusNet could set up a proper PAP2 guide (as the .pdf file that you can download doesn't give full/accurate setup details), and more importantly, launch a PlusNet STUN server!

The problem was fairly fundamental because it was not registering with the server. I tried everything I could think of - even resorting to using Linksys live technical help! After staying up until 2am for a couple of nights I gave up and have now returned the PAP2.

Shame, as the PAP2 really does work, and I went through exactly the same hassle as you (and I think I spent around a month trying to get it to work initially!) and have had a ticket open with PN support for what must be well over 2 months, and it's all been down to the settings info that PN give from what I can tell. Crazy.
N/A

VOIP Adapters Nightmare

Please please please raise a ticket with PlusNet begging them to launch a STUN server

Done. Thank you for the configuration settings. I'm sure these are pertinent to many adapters and will therefore be appreciated by others.

Shame, as the PAP2 really does work, and I went through exactly the same hassle as you (and I think I spent around a month trying to get it to work initially!) and have had a ticket open with PN support for what must be well over 2 months, and it's all been down to the settings info that PN give from what I can tell. Crazy.

A month! You have more patience then I have. But I'm not too bothered bacause now I can get something with PSTN pass through.