cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using webmail safe?

N/A

Using webmail safe?

I've just read about this new virus that autoruns even if you only click on the subject line in your in-box you don't even have to open an attachment. Silly news article didn't explain how it works though.

So, if anyone knows which one I'm talking about, would I be safe if I only read my mail through PlusNet's webmail, or could a virus install anyway through the browser I was using to read it?
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Using webmail safe?

If you are running anti-virus software and it's virus definitions are up to date you have nothing to worry about. You should also be running a firewall which will also help to stop any virus from spreading.

If you don't have a virus scanner or firewall I urge you to install one immediately, many free versions are available: see General: Essential Security software.
csogilvie
Grafter

Using webmail safe?

I shouldn't imagine the payload of the virus could be executed through Webmail, but as Peter said, you should be running Anti-Virus and a Firewall to be sure anywy.

BTW, you don't happen to be called Inge do you?
N/A

Using webmail safe?

Lol! Oh hello Colin (-:

Well the virus scanners are all very well, but there's always going to be the poor guy who gets infected by the one they didn't know about yet, and I didn't want it to be me. Ideally I would like to use a mail client that is so old it doesn't even know what html is, and just prints out junk if it gets anything that isn't strictly ascii. I can always pop into webmail and collect an attachment if it was something I was meant to have.